1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Written Commentary

Discussion in 'Music' started by Montague78, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

Hi, I have a group of GCSE students who have created their own vocal arrangement of History by 1D for an ensemble performance. It is very good but there is no score to mark it against. I emailed Edexcel and they said that I could submit a written commentary instead of a score but they don't have any examples of this.
    Has anyone else submitted a written commentary in lieu of a score/original recording that they would mind sharing please?
    Thanks

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

They used to say to submit a recording of the original artists version for performances where a score isn't available. Check in the spec if it says this. For something like this, could they print out the lyrics and annotate who sings what, what other instruments are doing in each verse, etc?

3. stclawson

stclawson New commenter

For an arrangement you should submit the original anyway. A written commentary is literally a step by step account of the choices they've made. Eg How many voices, what voices, what key, any key changes - how they handled this, how they created harmonies, how they used dyanmics, any musical devices they used and why etc. The more information they include to support the mark scheme the easier it will be to award the marks.