1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel versus AQA

Discussion in 'Science' started by Popple83, May 3, 2020.

1. Popple83

Popple83 New commenter

I've mostly taught just AQA, but am tutoring a student who is doing Edexcel.
    How different are these two exam boards?

When I was looking at past questions I also looked pre 2018 and in the radioactivity topic it brings up questions in quarks. Is this anywhere in the new syllabus?
    Hoping to be able to use older questions for practise.

Thanks.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The content of specifications are now essentially the same for all exam boards but they might be arranged in a different order. You might be better using recent questions from different exam boards rather than those for the old specification. I use the CGP revision guides mainly as a guide to what's in the specification, and then expand around them as required.,

Popple83 likes this.
  3. Popple83

Popple83 New commenter

Thank you. Yes, you are probably right. I'll do that.

I just noticed that EdExcel talk about PET scanners and the treatment of tumors, which i I don't think is found in the AQA syllabus. So, I was worried I would miss bits out.
    But, they do seem to be mostly the same other than that.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's important to check the specification itself. In the process of construction of papers there is a requirement to cover the whole specification over a number of exam series, so you will find items about the quirky bits of each as time goes on.

5. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

Pretty darned different, less at GCSE, more at A level. I've been "curating" youtube videos for Physics, Biology, & Combined Science, and found that many of them are say 20% off in terms of things they do or don't cover.
    Terms - from memory one is "Water Potential" - can be surprisingly missing from one or other.

Same sort of thing as if you look at the older sylabuses - much of it is OK, but it can be confusing.
    (iGCSE is didfferent too, but broadly the same. I suggest kids look at the way their books handle things if they want a different explanation, as the books are online.)

I guess the proper answer is to get the Specs side by side and tick things off.

vincenthardenchaters likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I always start with the specification.
    A lot of old questions are still useful. In fact when I'm tutoring my bright A level student from the school that is really focused on exams, I assume that they'll make full use of the current questions, so I have to find alternative stimuli. You just have to make sure they're appropriate.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The OP didn't actually say they were talking about GCSE (as opposed to A level) but from the topics mentioned I'm sure they were and I answered on that basis.