1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel unit 7 Weekend Run club June 2012

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by macsarethebest, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi I was wondering if we are allowed to post about this, as I don't see a topic for this latest 6957 prerelease.
    Just started to look at it wondered if anyone had any materials that I can share and then I will pass on mine.

good luck to us.....

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Usually there is a discussion on here about it, I think most schools finishing 8 & another courseworks before attacking this over Easter?

3. Interesting that the scenario chosen is different to the Unit 3 scenario, they have tended to be the same in the past.
    Certainly with Unit 3 I have made my students, who are re-setting, aware that it has been received and is available for them to look at. But, I won't be doing any work with them on it until they have completed their coursework.

4. That makes sense, need to get those coursework grades up as well as this exam.

5. I have started looking at it and it seems fairly straight forward which always makes me concerned!

Anyway the database normalizes fairly easily and I ended up with 4 tables (not sure if I am allowed to post what they are!). I do have some queries though.

• Will personal best be calculated or stored? My gut feeling is calculated as it is just a min query
    • age category - This could also be calculated but the issue is that, over time, this will change but surely, for historic runs, we need to record what age category they ran at the time not what they are in at the moment? Or am I making this more complicated than needed! Do we even need to deal with age category!
    • should position be stored or again calculated? I am thinking of storing it in a results table
    • Volunteers is a red herring and no data needs to be stored in the prototype?

Any thoughts?

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

People have in the past but maybe better not to.
    stored would be my guess based on the previous systems we've had from the board.
    I hadn't thought to store the age category they ran in, good point and well worth thinking about.
    Hadn't considered storing position.
    Agreed.
    The problem with trying to guess at fields that will be provided etc is you then end up trying to produce a correct system based on insufficient information. Much better that the students have the skills necessary and not practice on the scenario by building a model; or so I'm beginning to think.

7. One of my main database design points to my pupils is: do not include a distinct field in a table that can be calculated using data in other fields. Now I'm not wholly confident in my subject, so when the board suggest that the "total number of runs" and "personal best times" should be updated, this suggest new fields that contain calculated data. Am I OK in assuming this, not trying to be be smart-alecky.
    Regards
    sch

8. Which is of course wrong.
    If you are (say) design a hotel room management system, you can construct which rooms available by analysing all the bookings and their lengths and seeing if there are sufficient on that day. It is just not a very good way of doing things ; it might work for a 5 room B&B but a 500 room hotel is a nightmare.
    Whether to calculate (say) the total number of runs or not depends on the system. As a simple example I'm pretty sure the TES does not count all my posts before displaying the post count here. As there are a dozen on every page and it would involve a query of every post ever made this would be somewhat of a database load. I'd bet my lunch that there is a "how many posts have you made" column in TES Users.
    My experience of reading these specs is they are laughably bad ones that are written by people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing and you can't assume anything. The problem with update queries on this kind of thing is it automatically imposes some macros/scripting stuff on the DBMS.

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Not necessarily true as, for example, when ordering products the prices may change and you'd want to know what price you charged and the total expected etc. Similarly when the VAT rate changed, but wouldn't for past purchased items.
    Yes it does. If the board suggest it you can expect to have to do it.

10. Thanks both of you, what you've said makes good sense. Still learning, still learning...

11. Hi
    My thoughts:
    1) PB is volative and therefore only should be stored as unbound. The question uses the word 'updating' in relation to PB and therefore indicates it is not a calculation.
    Therefore PB must have its own table because the entity is not singularly related to any existing table.
    2) Age category is calculated by macro at the time and then appended to a table recording the event data. This will not change and for all time will show the age category at that moment,
    3) You would have to say stored following my logic
    4) Maybe not? Emailing race organisor is mentioned.
    Any thoughts on my thoughts?!

12. I have spent a couple of days working on a potential solution for this pre-release. I have something which incoporates most of previous skills Edexcel have required of students before.
    From my perspective, this is quite a well written pre-release compared with some of the previous versions over the past two - three years.
    With regards the points posted by 'ianbr78':
    1) I don't believe it will be held in a table on its own. Based on similar examples seen in previous exams, I think this will present itself in the form of a query. In my example, I have all results recorded in an 'entries' table. From this the result for each competitor can be recorded. It would then be fairly easy to populate a 'top 10 times' for a particular course either as an entire club, age category or by individual. The point about 'updating' a Personal Best is interesting, but the solution I have prepared is more efficient as it allows for an historical perspective on results.
    2) You can calculate age and age category through the form (its what I have done). This is then either appended to the table like you say, or, held and used at other points in the Database.
    3) Not sure, but once calculated it would be easy to teach the students either to store or use the value generated elsewhere.
    4) This is the bit I am still mulling over. In my example, I have created a Database with four tables, which is consistent with previous exams. However, I did consider a volunteers table with associated link to each competition.
    Not sure on what the rules are with regards posting solutions to the TES website? I have generated my own sample data based on gleeming information from the scenario and have prepared to me an effective solution. Quite nice that the students are going to have to manipulate dates.
    If anyone would like a copy of what I have prepared or would like to share resources/examples please get in touch.

13. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Which would leave a M-M relationship, wouldn't it?

14. Last year was my first year teaching Unit 7. I spent about 15 hours trying to solve the model and then took a chance on spending £12 to purchase Clifford French's model. All my students got between B and A*, the model was so near the exam it was uncanny. It was one of the best £12 I've spent in terms of saving myself hours of work and worry about letting my students down due to my lack of experience. Guess I've moved on a bit this year however I'm still very willing to pay as recompense for someone elses hard work.

15. Regarding the question about volunteersbeing a red herring, I was wondering whether as the volunteers would be using the database to update stuff whether there would be a table with their info and logins? Just a thought... Haven't tried to make it yet!

16. Also, I have another question about this, having begun to build a solution.
    For "creating runs" we are told that the process will involve:
    "automatic generation of the run date"
    I can't really think what automatic generation can be done for this, unless runs will only be created on the same day and therefore the Date() function could be used? Surely beyond this the only option is for the user to enter the date - the database can't mindread after all!

Someone please let me know if I am missing something!

Sophie

17. "automatic generation of the run date"

I presume it is asking for the date of the next coming Saturday. Just a guess but that's what i have put into place for my solution.

18. Who knows! The solution that I put together added 7 to the last date for that location - as scenario states that each location has a race every Saturday. However I'm wondering, like Sophie, if it is simply going to be using Date() and that race details are entered on the day of the race.

19. That's sounds possible. Guess we will have to prepare for all situations! Any ideas about the following :

Not sure whether to calculate this or presume that it will be in the data sets?

20. My assumption is it will be in the data sets, to be stored in the location table. Something for the evaluation perhaps? PB doesn't take difficulty into account.