1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Unit 7 Database

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rick26, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Just read the scenario
    My immediate view is 4 tables (customer - orders - product/stock - supplier)
    Anyone else working on it?

rick

2. Just read the scenario
    My immediate view is 4 tables (customer - orders - product/stock - supplier)
    Anyone else working on it?

rick

3. If you use some CASE tools and a bit of analysis you will find out.

4. There you go again thinking you know it all! How on earth could he use CASE tools? He only has the scenario!

5. Ah yes, an English teacher could do it!

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Only if you want to run with the customer only ever being able to order one item. If you want to be able to associate more than one item with an order number then you need a table of order items too. However I must stress I have no knowledge of the scenario

7. The scenario will set the scene (maybe a clue in the word). If he's guessing 4 tables, it suggests that there's information for that guess. But outside ICT teaching it's usual to analyse.

8. Well, an ICT teacher can't.

9. Oh stop being so silly. Clearly they are doing that. CASE tools would be useless at this stage. They are clearly using the scenario and the CLUES that are in that document. You are just being ridiculous and vindictive now. You clearly have a grudge against ICT teachers, good or otherwise. Grow up. Don't think by rubbishing ICT teachers and hoping they will all lose their jobs that it will make anybody else's job any safer. Let's face it, we could rubbish any subject from the appalling English from English teachers on written report to the clearly incorrect attendance percentages from Maths teachers. And I'm not even going to start on BTEC Science which doesn't get pupils into University. We should be supporting each other, not hoping that certain groups will be thrown out of the profession to save our own backs. You are a disgrace and extremely unprofessional.

10. In which case it would be more sensible to wait for the information rather than guessing 4 tables (which is almost certainly wrong).

11. To be honest, I'd like to see ICT taught to high high standard and in a meaningful way. If that's not possible, it would make sense to cut losses and move on.

12. Odd responses - why the aggression?
    It is normal and expected that you attempt to devise an entity relationship from the scenario prior to the exam
    As regards 4 tables you simply split it into a head and body for orders if needed.
    The idea is that you discuss possibilities

13. I'm used to being on the receiving end of aggression - it tells me what I need to know about (some) teachers. As for the project, I don't think four tables would work and I feel it better if you do some analysis of what happens in practice, even to the point of scripting it so that students can see what is happening on the ground. It also helps to reinforce the idea of verbs and nouns when you come to do DFDs, ERDs, ...

14. Time for the annual mass cheat-in, is it ?
    We could have a real laugh and not do anything regarding the practical work before the students do it.

15. Just when did the 'doing it properly' stop? There is so much preliminary work before we start thinking about tables. I always thought the analysis was the 'fun' part.

16. I thought the whole point was the students did it. Now it seems their teachers do it (or copy it) and the students memorise it.

17. If you've seen the OCR templates and guidance, the only thing they could possibly get wrong is the spelling. Or they might run out of time.

18. Not at all
    The scenario is there to be investigated and discussed prior to the exam.
    The teacher is allowed to discuss this too

19. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Please don't se this as some sort of veiled request to try and catch you out, I have no idea what you mean by this terminology and I am willing to learn. Could you please enlighten me, I don't claim to be any sort of dbase expert. If you are talking about a report, I don't understand how you can keep the same order number for multiple items without having a separate table for it.

20. The body is the separate table