1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Unit 4 A Level exam - Lysistrata. Heeeelp!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by iheartpoetry, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi folks,
    I'm a PGCE student prepping a year 13 class for the written exam on Lysistrata - section B on design concept. Have tackled everything I can think of and done some detailed lessons on structuring the answer recently. Does anyone have any ideas of final things I can prepare them for in these last few weeks? I haven't been given much support and there are few resources out there so I would be hugely grateful.
    Thanks very much.

2. Hi folks,
    I'm a PGCE student prepping a year 13 class for the written exam on Lysistrata - section B on design concept. Have tackled everything I can think of and done some detailed lessons on structuring the answer recently. Does anyone have any ideas of final things I can prepare them for in these last few weeks? I haven't been given much support and there are few resources out there so I would be hugely grateful.
    Thanks very much.

3. My PGCE students are doing the following with my group in preparation for section B:
    Completing an essay in 50 minutes, with timed guidance eg 5minutes intro; 7 minutes example 1 etc. I also write a response at the same time.This is really helpful for preparing for the pressure of exam time limits
    Photocopy,read aloud and mark together the responses, using the mark scheme and discussing its application. This helps pupils recognise strengths and weaknesses.
    Find time to complete 2 and a half hours of writing - it's a killer for some pupils who complete everything on computers. I have candidates whose other subjects include Art, Photography etc, so some have completed no written paper since GCSE

4. Hello, I am doing Woyzeck... But this might be useful... I got them to create their design concept as a model box, or a set design on a massive bit of card with labels and costume ideas. This helps consolidate their ideas and find out if they have any holes that make it wobbly.... Ie a random bit of set/costume with no rational behind it. Then they feed back to the other students. It was a good opportunity as the others could then ask questions and add ideas... Some bits of set became gobos rather than trees.... A procenium arch became theatre-in-the-round... It helped them tweak it. Best bit of advice that I got on how to teach them this section was to 'be brave, be bold, but be real'... A play set on a tightrope with the audience in helicopters might sound fab, but it isn't really very realistic. They need to really be able to see it in their mind's eye if they will talk about it convincingly. It is a strange one... Is there another exam that is mostly written in role? Anyway... Good luck!