1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Unit 3

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by thethe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Looks like an interesting scenario. However, having spent last few weeks going through past papers with students, I'm apprehensive that they seem to be changing the format. After an initial look:</font>

2. I think you're right - can work out where to get most data on the stats sheet but not sure where to get the lap record yet. Would help if I understood laptimes, fuel, pit shops type degradation (what on earth is that?) - wish I paid more attention to the Grand Prix!

3. At least this one actually makes sense and something they can relate to

4. Thanks for the info you have written as it helps confirm where I have or haven't gone wrong. However having no clue about F1, could you please tell me what stint laps are? Also, when I try and put a lap number other than 1 into D12:D15 on the summary sheet I get a message stating that the number is invalid? what numbers are meant to go in here?

5. Stint is the number of laptops between pit stops, therefore a stint lap could be a lap that hasn't had a pit stop on it?
    I've copied all of the data from the pdf to a blank worksheet and then I've linked the data to the Stats sheet as per previous years. I don't like the idea of typing directly into the stats sheet cells.

6. laps not laptops duh!
    A few things I'm unsure about.
    1. Why have they supplied the height of the drivers?
    2. Are the students to recommend which of the drivers to test the model? Perhaps as activity 2?

7. I'm not teaching this unit this year but it sounds like a fascinating model. I'm tempted to download it and have a play just for the hell of it!

8. You should, it's a good one.
    What are you teaching this year? Have you moved away from this course or is it just that another member of your department is teaching this?

9. Don't believe the height to be relevant at this point as I can't see how that could affect the model.
    With regard to their weight, I have entered a formula into the 'Stats' worksheet to calculate the amount of ballast to bring the car in at the minimum weight without fuel in it. So it doesn't matter which driver you choose, the weight of the car will be the same.
    However, in real life, the weight of the driver does make a difference as you can position ballast around the vehicle as you please and therefore you can affect the centre of gravity in the car and therefore how it wears it's tyres. So a lighter driver would enable you to play around with the balance more. Perhaps something for Activity 5?

10. Excellent point.
    I've asked a friend who is a designer of formula 3 cars what a stint lap is and he says it is the lap at the start where drivers warm their tyres up by zig zagging across the track.

11. I think the point of including the drivers heights might be that there is no point - that for activity one pupils should not be listing it as a key factor. Likewise with the statement that a car must be 2 cm off the ground - not our concern, we only need concern ourselves with tyres and fuel strategy and ballast.
    But I think the driver weight is relevant (following from post two up from this one - sorry, I can't see your name now) as the scenario states that "a car <u>and </u>driver should weigh no less than 640 at end of race". However, it's not entirely clear as on stats worksheet there is field "min car weight" which due to statement in scenario I am taking to mean "min car and driver weight".
    I presume that each driver might require slightly different strategies due to differing weights.

12. "Stint Laps" would appear to be the number of laps in a stint, as helpfully defined by by yourself earlier, with the numbers of a "stint lap" not required.
    Regards
    sch

13. Yes, that seems right just getting myself confused a bit. Still not sure about the stint laps on the summary sheet and how to apply that correctly, or the fuel to add - notice stint laps has validation on it.
    Anyway I've finished the model with a time of 02:02:46 with not too much trouble. In particular I seem to be carrying way too much fuel, and running on grade A tyres. But as far as I'm concerned I know enough to teach it now - it's upto the students to devise the strategy.

Cc

14. Validation is set to between the cell above and the max number of laps (C8). If C8 says 1 then there is your fault. I've set mine to 75 (linked from another sheet not typed in)

15. I am also confused about stint laps on the summary page. If anyone has any suggestions on what goes there that would make me a happy camper!

Also I have a feeling that they will have to solve this for both drivers as the strategy will need tweaking based on the drivers weight. Anyone any thoughts on this?

16. Different colleague. I'm still doing 6958/6960 - my favourite units :)

17. Not sure if it does need tweaking . I've put a drop down list on the driver weight and depending on which one is selected the ballast automatically adjusts.
    I'm wondering if stint laps on the summary sheet is actually a formula based on number of laps between pit stops?

18. Hi, I am finding this spreadsheet difficult to understand, is there any chance you could send me a copy of your completed version? I would really appreciate it. My email addy is m.c.marenda@hotmail.co.uk

19. p1ppaj

p1ppaj New commenter

So I think i'm getting there....... Not got to grips with the stint laps yet and i'm trying to figure out how to convert the final race time to seconds.
    Trying the CONVERT function but seem to be getting it wrong somewhere. Anyone else going down this route or am I over complicating things on a Friday afternoon??

20. I keep thinking I'm getting there and then I hit a brick wall.[​IMG] I found a link to covert time in to seconds if this helps:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/42-179932