1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Unit 2 Higher 1 March 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by TonyM19, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

When is the earliest we can start to discuss yesterday's paper? I understand there is a time delay, just wondering when it expires.

2. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

When is the earliest we can start to discuss yesterday's paper? I understand there is a time delay, just wondering when it expires.

3. DM

DM New commenter

Chat away!

4. hopon66

hopon66 New commenter

I thought it was a fair paper.

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I'll be amused when they publish the grade boundaries for A* - cos there wasn't any A* stuff in it...!!! Off-hand, can't think of any in the unit, for that matter, but they could have thrown in some more top-end challenge... It's small wonder that so many of our Year 12s can't cope with AS...

6. Did it have a proof one on circles at the end? Did I pick the right paper up?
    RE the AS pupils. Yes, trying to explain in C2 solutions to 3tan2x=sqrt3 between -pi and pi is hard when pupils ask "whats that soh cah toa thing again?"

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

No, you are correct. I was wrong - inadvertently commenting on the Unit 1 paper (Doh!) which definitely doesn't have any A* stuff.

8. Yeh, I had another look today over both
    The unit one seems a bit like "here is a nice paper to ease you into GCSE from KS3" but we dont need it!!
    I think the circle theorem one would lead to lots of quite able pupils having an appreciation of whats going on but may not have been able to articulate their proof.
    4 marks for it though [​IMG] (when you can get that for a noddy question at the start of the paper.
    Bring back intermediate and actually test our good kids. Unit 1 was little more than a intermediate paper of 5 or so years back

9. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

It was the Circle theorem proof question that surprised me. I just thought it was a pretty obscure question. If that's the style of question we can expect, then fair enough. It's certainly an appropriate level of question, just one that caught me out.

10. Hope so
    There were a couple of nice ones on the foundation paper and CERTAINLY more taxing than the 1380 linear paper.
    I will pass judgement when the grade boundaries are out as if you need 60% for top UMS then it kinda screws it all up a little