1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Unit 1 Foundation, problem-solving/finding-the-relevant-information style questions!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Joe R, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Our Foundation pupils struggled with the November exam questions which required pupils to sort through timetables/prices/dates etc. to find the relevant bits of information and then answer questions on it. Usually these are worth quite a few marks, due to the work involved.
    I was wondering if anyone had any links to good resources / practice questions of these? They're obviously not easy ones to make up quickly on the board!
    Thanks very much [​IMG]

2. Our Foundation pupils struggled with the November exam questions which required pupils to sort through timetables/prices/dates etc. to find the relevant bits of information and then answer questions on it. Usually these are worth quite a few marks, due to the work involved.
    I was wondering if anyone had any links to good resources / practice questions of these? They're obviously not easy ones to make up quickly on the board!
    Thanks very much [​IMG]

3. DM

DM New commenter

Use Level 1 Functional Mathematics workbooks?
    [​IMG]
    These are quite good.

4. KYP

KYP New commenter

Have you looked at any of the Functional Maths resources? For example, from OCR:http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_51920_sm_fs_act_bank_l1_l2.pdf
    from AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/resource-zone/maths/functional-maths.php and http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-9305-9307-W-TASKS.PDF.
    and then you can get loads of free extracts from: http://aqagcsemaths.wordpress.com/free-resources/
    Sorry they are from other exam boards - but they are freebies!

5. No, thats what we call PPA time..ie you do it in your own time in lesson planning.
    Sorry but I cannot credit (assuming you are a full time maths teacher) that you would not be able to just use google and make your own worksheet or whiteboard resources?
    I have spent 6 minutes and 8 seconds making you one below which you are welcome use use/modify/scrap.

<table><tr><td>Mondays to Fridays (except Public Holidays) </td></tr><tr><td></td><td align="right">Schedule commences 06 September 2010 </td></tr></table>
    <table><tr><td style="color:white;">Service No </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td></tr><tr><td>Reading Station [SM] </td><td align="center">0500 </td><td align="center">0520 </td><td align="center">0540 </td><td align="center">0600 </td><td align="center">0620 </td><td align="center">0640 </td><td align="center">0650 </td><td align="center">0655 </td><td align="center">0700 </td><td align="center">and </td><td align="center">every </td><td align="center">0940 </td><td align="center">and </td><td align="center">every </td><td align="center">1500 </td></tr><tr><td>Corbridge Road </td><td align="center">0510 </td><td align="center">0530 </td><td align="center">0550 </td><td align="center">0610 </td><td align="center">0630 </td><td align="center">0650 </td><td align="center">0700 </td><td align="center">0705 </td><td align="center">0711 </td><td align="center">8 </td><td align="center">mins. </td><td align="center">0951 </td><td align="center">10 </td><td align="center">mins. </td><td align="center">1511 </td></tr><tr><td>Northumberland Avenue </td><td align="center">0517 </td><td align="center">0537 </td><td align="center">0557 </td><td align="center">0617 </td><td align="center">0637 </td><td align="center">0657 </td><td align="center">0707 </td><td align="center">0712 </td><td align="center">0719 </td><td align="center">until </td><td align="center"></td><td align="center">0959 </td><td align="center">until </td><td align="center"></td><td align="center">1519 </td></tr></table>
    <table><tr><td style="color:white;">Service No </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center"></td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td></tr><tr><td>Reading Station [SM] </td><td align="center">1508 </td><td align="center">1516 </td><td align="center">1524 </td><td align="center">1532 </td><td align="center">1540 </td><td align="center">1548 </td><td align="center">1556 </td><td align="center">1601 </td><td align="center">and </td><td align="center">every </td><td align="center">1737 </td><td align="center">1745 </td><td align="center">1755 </td><td align="center">1805 </td><td align="center">1815 </td></tr><tr><td>Corbridge Road </td><td align="center">1519 </td><td align="center">1527 </td><td align="center">1535 </td><td align="center">1543 </td><td align="center">1551 </td><td align="center">1559 </td><td align="center">1607 </td><td align="center">1616 </td><td align="center">8 </td><td align="center">mins. </td><td align="center">1752 </td><td align="center">1800 </td><td align="center">1810 </td><td align="center">1820 </td><td align="center">1830 </td></tr><tr><td>Northumberland Avenue </td><td align="center">1527 </td><td align="center">1535 </td><td align="center">1543 </td><td align="center">1551 </td><td align="center">1559 </td><td align="center">1607 </td><td align="center">1615 </td><td align="center">1623 </td><td align="center">until </td><td align="center"></td><td align="center">1759 </td><td align="center">1807 </td><td align="center">1817 </td><td align="center">1827 </td><td align="center">1837 </td></tr></table>
    <table><tr><td style="color:white;">Service No </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td><td style="color:white;" align="center">5 </td></tr><tr><td>Reading Station [SM] </td><td align="center">1825 </td><td align="center">1835 </td><td align="center">1855 </td><td align="center">1915 </td><td align="center">1935 </td><td align="center">1955 </td><td align="center">2015 </td><td align="center">2045 </td><td align="center">2115 </td><td align="center">2145 </td><td align="center">2215 </td><td align="center">2245 </td><td align="center">2315 </td></tr><tr><td>Corbridge Road </td><td align="center">1840 </td><td align="center">1847 </td><td align="center">1907 </td><td align="center">1927 </td><td align="center">1945 </td><td align="center">2005 </td><td align="center">2025 </td><td align="center">2055 </td><td align="center">2125 </td><td align="center">2155 </td><td align="center">2225 </td><td align="center">2255 </td><td align="center">2325 </td></tr><tr><td>Northumberland Avenue </td><td align="center">1847 </td><td align="center">1854 </td><td align="center">1914 </td><td align="center">1934 </td><td align="center">1952 </td><td align="center">2012 </td><td align="center">2032 </td><td align="center">2102 </td><td align="center">2132 </td><td align="center">2202 </td><td align="center">2232 </td><td align="center">2302 </td><td align="center">2332 </td></tr></table>
    Grade G question
    What time does the earliest service number 5 leave Corbridge Road?
    Grade E/F question
    How long does it take to get from Corbridge Road to Northumberlan Avenue?
    Grade D question
    What is the total time taken to do a out and back journey from the original point of departure?
    Grade C question
    The bus travels at 30mph, roughly how far is it from each of the stops, justifying answers.

6. I may have missed the point of the question but why not get local bus/train timetables and use those. Surely this ticks all the boxes for functional maths. I've never made one of these questions up I just use local, real, timetables.

7. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Like Betamale just did?

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

You know, you have achieved a remarkable feat here. You have managed to combine potentially helpful information with mildly insulting/judgmental comments, all within the same post. I kind of like it. Let's hope it sets a trend around here. [​IMG]

9. I'm sorry I thought by his comment:

I have spent 6 minutes and 8 seconds making you one below which you are welcome use use/modify/scrap.
    That he had made this up, I guess I was wrong! My intention, and the way I tackle this type of topic, is to give the pupils the actual timetables.

10. This is of course nothing new. I remember when i used to teach before (early-mid 80s) spending a several weeks trying to get my bottom set fifth years to read a timetable. At least nowadays the kids can just resort to an App once they leave school

11. Hi Brookes
    As DM says, the questions at foundation and especially in handling data unit no longer go beyond what most adults would see as 'common sense everyday questions'
    "Bus leaves twn A at 06:54 and arrives at 08:01. How long did the journey take?"
    part b
    "Is this longer or shorter than (then pupils compare with another route)?
    I appreciate some top end 'highe tier' questions on the more functional papers will go into a little more depth.

12. Thanks for explaining betamale, I'm so new to all of this.