1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Topic Tests

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by saz5130, Aug 26, 2018.

1. saz5130

saz5130 New commenter

Hi All,

We are currently using the Edexcel topic tests to assess students understanding of units throughout the year.

They come with Examiners Report and Mark Scheme but no grade boundaries.

I am new to the role of KS4 lead and need some advice on grade boundaries. Is anyone else using these? Has anyone already come up with some grade boundaries? Any advice on how to work out grade boundaries for module/unit tests?

TIA

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

There are no grade boundaries, as you've discovered - I don't know if anyone else has tried, but Edexcel of course have their 12-petal daisy shape of Progression which originally was their own version and didn't link to grades, but now they have made it link to grades and it is an absolute trainwreck. I personally don't think you can come up with grade boundaries as they are not consistent in their coverage of the different difficulties, and of course individual topics have no specific grading anyway, whatever MathsWatch etc may say. Sorry.