1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel specimen grade boundaries help!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by blues_maths, Oct 15, 2015.

1. blues_maths

blues_maths New commenter

Hi, we have recently given our year 10's the non-calculator specimen 1 paper foundation and higher depending on sets.

Has anyone got (or made their own) any rough grade boundaries for these as we are struggling to set our own. Any help much appreciated, thanks

Davegjones likes this.
  2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

If these are for Year 10, then it's the new 9-1 specification. Which means we are SO FAR from even knowing about possible grade boundaries that I wouldn't even try. But go on, knock yourselves out. I'm watching with interest.

3. rebeccap

rebeccap New commenter

Edexcel have a diagnostic test for year 10's and they have a chart that links the results with NC levels, old GCSE grade and new GCSE grade. It was a free download from the Edexcel site (I think). At least it gives an INDICATION.

Davegjones likes this.
  4. Davegjones

Davegjones New commenter

I'm trying to find this with no luck. Can you help?

Disappointing that grade boundaries are still not available. Blues_maths: what did you end up doing with the raw scores?

5. darhar

darhar New commenter

I have contacted Edexcel, who have been very vague with their answer, stating that the boundaries are likely to be lower compared to current spec (ie, current spec 70% on Foundation is approx C - grade 4. This is likely to be less on new spec).

6. PFCDaz

PFCDaz New commenter

Edexcel have to be vague, as do all the other awarding organisations. The sample materials are just that, they are to illustrate the style, structure and standard of the new exams, but they are not part of the live assessment and will never be sat blind by students, marked externally and subject to the same grading process.

Ofqual have stated that the grades for 2017 will be a proportional map from 2016 at grades 4 and 7, with the same proportion of students that achieved c or more, and 7 or more respectively gaining 4 or more and 7 or more in 2017. 9 forms the top 20 % of those students who achieve 7 or more, and 5 is the top 3rd of C and bottom third of B in 2016.

It is impossible to accurately predict how the changes in content, questions style and the increased demand at the top end of each tier will affect student performance until the first cohort sit the first live exam having been through a full 2 years of KS4, and as such, any predicted grade boundaries produced would be misleading with no large scale mapping as guidance. Too high and thousands of students will end up forced by panicky SLT members into catch up and intervention classes that they never really needed, too low and schools may be at risk of complacency by assuming students are on track, allowing intervention time to go to other subjects.

Not a very comforting situation for teachers all over the country who will be expected to predict against targets, but the message has to be shouted out up and down the country that the target grades for individual students will be even less reliable than usual in 2017, and predictions will have to be made based on professional judgement (which teachers have in spades, it just doesn't get recognised enough any more!).

While the grade boundaries are likely to be lower than currently, because they are decided at proportionally a student who would achieve a C in the current GCSE ought to achieve a 4 in the new GCSE. As many schools may not embrace the changes to the importance of problem solving and explanation immediately, those that do may well see an improvement in outcomes at the expense of the students whose schools have failed to take the new style into account.

7. MLMaths

MLMaths New commenter

Thanks PFCDaz. I've copied this into a file somewhere so that as the call for my tests to be levelled rises, I can pull bits out and email them off.

We're in a tricky situation with levels and I certainly intend to wait until a third party invests money into coming up with a decent levelling strategy. Until then, I'll try to avoid making a rod for my own back.