1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel SOW help

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by matryoshkadoll, Jan 20, 2011.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Hi there

My school has been teaching OCR philosophy and Ethics GCSE for several years. They are taking away PSHE and Citizenship and giving the time to RE so that we will have 2 hours a week instead of 1. I have suggested that we take on the Edexcel board for the full course instead for Religion and Society and Religion and Life as the citizenship elements appear very clear and the geography elements that will enthuse several students.

I have just been told that in order for them to consider it, I would have to have a SOW ready by next week for the full course new spec. This is impossible in a week as I have only taught the short course in full at my last school so only have half a model to work with - even without the new spec additions. I could really do with a few examples that I could adapt for our students if anyone wouldn't mind me having a look at what you might be doing.

We are starting next year to offer GCSE from year 9 and I would like to incorporate the new course resources from Heinemann as an introduction to Edexcel GCSE. I wouldn't normally ask, but I am in the middle of rewriting the SOW's for KS3 and have our Council RE advisor in at the moment over the next few weeks. In fact, if you look at my profile or on REstuff, you will see that I do contribute quite regularly.

All I need is a few examples if anyone has any to share. Just a big pleeeeaaaaase really!

2. matryoshkadoll

Hi there

My school has been teaching OCR philosophy and Ethics GCSE for several years. They are taking away PSHE and Citizenship and giving the time to RE so that we will have 2 hours a week instead of 1. I have suggested that we take on the Edexcel board for the full course instead for Religion and Society and Religion and Life as the citizenship elements appear very clear and the geography elements that will enthuse several students.

I have just been told that in order for them to consider it, I would have to have a SOW ready by next week for the full course new spec. This is impossible in a week as I have only taught the short course in full at my last school so only have half a model to work with - even without the new spec additions. I could really do with a few examples that I could adapt for our students if anyone wouldn't mind me having a look at what you might be doing.

We are starting next year to offer GCSE from year 9 and I would like to incorporate the new course resources from Heinemann as an introduction to Edexcel GCSE. I wouldn't normally ask, but I am in the middle of rewriting the SOW's for KS3 and have our Council RE advisor in at the moment over the next few weeks. In fact, if you look at my profile or on REstuff, you will see that I do contribute quite regularly.

All I need is a few examples if anyone has any to share. Just a big pleeeeaaaaase really!

3. ott

ott

If you go on to the edexcel website in the RS section they have editable sows under teacher resources! Hope they will help!

4. matryoshkadoll

Thanks, yes I have looked at the Edexcel site - really looking for a mixture of examples as this will be my first KS4 SOW. I always find that having more than one example of something helps me to produce better ideas. Thanks for the tip though!

5. I have some you can have. I teach both of those specs. Only thing is the religion & Society I do in 12 months so you would need to pad it out - lol and when you do send it me back please! Fair swap :) PM me an e mail address.

6. matryoshkadoll

Thanks Leviosa.

I am more than happy to share what I have as you know! I thought I would have a couple of months to sort this out-- but was just landed today with - 'if you want to change exam boards you need to have an SOW ready to go by next week! - If I can just get a few ideas, I can patch over the weekend and make really personal to the school on the small occasions that I have extra time! Not too worried about the lesser time for R&S. My kids need to learn exam skills which will use a lot of time. Hopefully the additional time will allow for good skill practice.

Big thanks

7. matryoshkadoll

Thanks again Leviosa.

You have mail.

xx