1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel short course Religion & Life - poor results?!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by rubysoho79, Sep 9, 2011.

1. rubysoho79

rubysoho79 New commenter

Did anyone else find their A*-C's dreadful this year with this short course. Ours is the lowest ever.
    However, according to results plus the national average for the Rel & Life short course is only 52% - which seems very low. So disappointed as I thought it was a lovely exam paper.
    Does anyone have any insight?

2. National average is usually in the low to mid fifties - not got figures to hand but I am pretty positive.
    I only had one entry this year who missed it due to being on holiday last year, was a set 2 student - he got an A and didn't have any one to one revision - just used past papers to practice and a revision booklet I had produced for him.

3. Is this the first year you've done this paper?
    If not, what were results last year?
    Has staffing changed?
    What was the year group FFT predicted A*-C?
    Many SEN?
    How much practice had they had on whole exam papers?
    Have you analysed question by question? Any obvious issues on sections/questions?
    One thing I've noticed is that lots of mine ran out of time.

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Have you been on any of the insets? They are good at showing you how to get the students to answer the b and d questions well. A lot of students are still answering them like the old style ones and they lose marks that way. Timing shouldn't be a problem as the c) questions don't need to be as long to get the marks.

5. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

That's one of my priorities this year, I've heard they are very useful. Thank you.

6. This is very true. I examined again this year and there are still students who don't know that b= TWO developed points. They are writing four reasons which can only ever be 2/4.
    My advice to all teachers would be to prepare students fully to be able to give reasons, specifically DEVELOPED reasons.
    This is the skill that will get them the marks.
    If possible, as soon as they start in year 7, get students to always say WHY they think something when giving an opinion.
    With the GCSE students, do lots of 'student' examples of basic/developed reasons and get them marking them as a teacher would, justifying why one is basic and one is developed. Give them lots to look at!
    When they do practice questions in class, make sure they are developing their reasons every time.
    Also, show 'short' c) answers which are 8/8 to get over the 'I have to write masses for a C) question'.

7. weebleme

weebleme New commenter

Thank you that's really helpful :)

8. OK found my results if it's of any help to you.
    Full course Religion & Life/Religion & Society in 2010 had 96% A*-C - that went up to 100% this year.
    2010 A*/A was 67% - went up to 80% this year
    Short course Religion & Life my A*-C % dropped 19% from the old spec to the new spec and I went on the training. However, I entered the entire year group regardless of ability that year so I would have expected some drop but not quite so much.
    I would do the insets and see how you get on in the second year with it. I wish I had short course to compare this year but I don't - got all of year 10 & 11 sitting it next year.