1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel S1 clarification

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by retired65, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I an due to tutor a student on S1.
    Can anyone confirm Edexcels generally accepted method of finding the median/quartiles from grouped and ungrouped data? (as the range of materials vary hugely in their approach)
    The <u>general</u> approach seems from grouped simply divide by 2 for the median and 4 for q1
    The general approach for ungrouped is divide by 4 and round up fro q1/q3 and (n+1)/2 for the median.
    Please can someone confrim the approach accepted/used for the exams.
    Thanks

2. I an due to tutor a student on S1.
    Can anyone confirm Edexcels generally accepted method of finding the median/quartiles from grouped and ungrouped data? (as the range of materials vary hugely in their approach)
    The <u>general</u> approach seems from grouped simply divide by 2 for the median and 4 for q1
    The general approach for ungrouped is divide by 4 and round up fro q1/q3 and (n+1)/2 for the median.
    Please can someone confrim the approach accepted/used for the exams.
    Thanks

3. Round up for discrete and use the exact value for continuous data.
    These follows through nicely for interpolation. I find that if students can do the soloman papers they are fine with the actual edexcel.
    Good luck

4. *this follows*

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

For ungrouped: there will either be 4n-1 numbers in the list or 4n numbers in the list.

For 4n-1, e.g. 11 numbers: use 3rd, 6th and 9th

For 4n, e.g. 12 numbers: use midway between 3rd and 4th, 6th and 7th, and 9th and 10th