1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EDEXCEL Modular unit 2 results

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Jan 14, 2012.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

We put all our Year 11 in for unit 2 at the end of their Year 10 and a lot of the results were disappointing. A signifcant number of students re-sat in November and the results still aren't great.
    What do other people think, will the terminal paper be harder , or the same???
    I am wondering if we should just enter a lot of pupils for linear, if SLT will let me it will cost more!

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

We put all our Year 11 in for unit 2 at the end of their Year 10 and a lot of the results were disappointing. A signifcant number of students re-sat in November and the results still aren't great.
    What do other people think, will the terminal paper be harder , or the same???
    I am wondering if we should just enter a lot of pupils for linear, if SLT will let me it will cost more!

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Much the same round here. We put ours in for Unit 2 in November and the results are depressing. Other schools round here had poor results from the same unit sat in the summer.
    If tiers/results are the same for Unit 3 as they have been for unit 2, we'd be looking at the best part of a 10 point drop in % results. That can't be right. As well as doing everything we used to do in terms of exam preparation, we've done a lot more besides in getting the kids up to speed with the new style of questions. Our unit 2 results are almost 20 points down on Unit 1...
    I don't really know what edexcel are playing at, but their 'predictability' rating has gone from one extreme to the other in the past year or so. A year ago, I could have almost written the paper and the grade boundaries for them blindfold - which, don't get me wrong, was no good thing; now, they're messing around like an exam board which has been read the riot act by Ofqual.
    I'm thinking of jumping ship.

4. Our A*-C are 15% down from Unit 1 (March yr 10) to Unit 2 (Nov yr 11).

A*/A is down too but not by as much.

Looking at switching some students across to linear.

5. Have suspected and hoped that Ofqual might have got to grips with Edexcel after their pathetic exams over the years. Some of their more recent papers suggest that it may well have happened. Don't suppose we'll ever know for sure because I don't think Ofqual publish these details. Maybe they should.

6. pencho

pencho New commenter

OFQUAL may well have "had a word" with Edexcel about their prior exam papers, but it isn't the case that their A*-C is out of line with any other awarding body and its not the greatest. So although the papers may have been easier, there was still not a greater number passing.

7. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I wonder if Unit 3 grade boundaries will be lower because school's surely shouldn't be seeing a 10% drop in resutls, when other things are equal. Not sure my nerves can take the wait for that though. Seriously wondering about linear but that means going over the stats again that staff and pupils thought they could forget about.
    A lot of our pupils got at least one grade lower on unit 2 compared to unit 1, surely all three modules should show similar grades, even allowing for poor non-calc work this doesn't seem right!
    Interested in others view strategies for the future.

8. sonofspivak

sonofspivak New commenter

Had to bump this.....so did people see an improvement in grades overall??? Or was it only because students were switched to linear?