1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel modular remarks

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Aug 27, 2012.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I can't find the thread on this that I think I can remember from last year.
    I am looking at possible candidates for remark 240/400 UMS needed for a C what would you consider worth a go?
    What sort of results have you had in the past?
    I have looked at the raw marks and UMS chart for the terminal paper, is 8 marks out of 80 worth a go? or 7, 6, 4, 3???

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I can't find the thread on this that I think I can remember from last year.
    I am looking at possible candidates for remark 240/400 UMS needed for a C what would you consider worth a go?
    What sort of results have you had in the past?
    I have looked at the raw marks and UMS chart for the terminal paper, is 8 marks out of 80 worth a go? or 7, 6, 4, 3???

3. sonofspivak

sonofspivak New commenter

Just out of curiousity, what did you think of the results and the grade boundaries.

I thought the boundary for a C on modular was very high considering how low it was on linear. From memory 44% overall vs 26%.

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I've just seen the 26% thread and Yes I wish I'd switched more children to Linear, won't need to worry about that for Y10 onwards. I switched 3 Higher students to Linear, two where weak C/D both got C's some stronger candidates got D's on modular!!!

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Due to electronic marking each question is marked by someone different, often who has marked lots of that question in one go, so there tend to be less marking errors, and certainly no adding up errors. I would have said that the probability of more than 2 marks being incorrectly denied is less than 1% so would only get remarks for those within 2 marks of the threshold.

6. I think there will be increased issues with accuracy this year due to the QWC (*) questions which tend to be longer questions with a bit more room for interpretation of what a student has written.
    In previous years 1 or 2 marks upgrade was a possibility although we occassionally, on a parental payment. would go beyond this and every now and again we'd see a 4 or 5 mark shift which was scary!

7. Generally speaking (from past experience with Edexcel) 1,2,3 and 4 at a push out of 100.
    Agree on the points regarding the electronic marking too.
    There is of course the mindset that markers are being asked to do more scripts for less money which may, may, <u>MAY</u> lead to slight fluctuations in accuracy/quality.
    Personally I would not look at anything beyond 5 in 100 marks with much hope though.