1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel modular Higher Unit 3 non- calc

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

This paper was surprisingly hard, I am not saying this is a bad thing just a surprise because there has been so little challenge in recent years. Hopefully it will help sort the 'real' A* from the A students.
    Not sure how it will affect the grade B/C/D candidates. Yes the ones who would be better served by an Intermediate paper. Wasn't the idea of GCSE supposed to be achieveable for all!

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

This paper was surprisingly hard, I am not saying this is a bad thing just a surprise because there has been so little challenge in recent years. Hopefully it will help sort the 'real' A* from the A students.
    Not sure how it will affect the grade B/C/D candidates. Yes the ones who would be better served by an Intermediate paper. Wasn't the idea of GCSE supposed to be achieveable for all!

3. I thought there were 36/60 marks that were straightforward but then a leap

That surface area was mean ... wasn't it

4. sorry if this is silly question - only overhearing parents' gossip - was this the question about spheres?

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I would say so

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

you were asked to equate the surface area of a cone with height h and base radiur x to that of a hemisphere with radius x

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Well I guess you cant please everyone all the time because i really didnt like this paper.

Question 1 - cant they think of a ration that isnt 2:3

Question 10 - Ok I quite like it and it shouldnt challenge higher students too much but this was also on the foundation paper. As they were only given the csa and not even told they needed to calculate the volume many will not have attempted this.
    Questio 11 - another quirky share in a given ratio question.

Question 14 - Construct an angle of 30 degrees which agian is unfamilar.

Then 7 marks on expanding and factorising and 6 marks on dividing and subtracting frcations.

Question 17 - prove the angles are the same - well 2 are clearly right angles and the other one is 90 - B in both triangles so not much of a proof for question 17 on the higher paper.

Question 25 - suddenly we get a really ahrd question.

A ridiculous number of marks at Grade D and below with "quirkyness" used to try and disguise the lack of challenge. Quirky questions are not a fair way of testing students in my opinion and are no substitute for questions that are genuinely of the required level of difficulty.

8. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

copied from previous thread were we discussed this.

9. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Yes the surface area was mean. I suppose a lot of the early part of the paper was OK, the last four questions were quite hard for most candidates. So not really graduated but as RF said a big jump.

Maths Mike are you talking about linear? I started this thread to try and get some modular specific comments.

10. I agree. I thought the paper seemed much harder than the past papers we were doing with pupils. My top set pupils are saying they thought it was hard but they could have a go at the questions. It is out set 2 that worry me, these pupils are C/B and I think there were several pupils who would have been thrown by the second half of the paper.
    Really hoping the grade boundaries will be a few marks lower than in previous years!

11. My Stars thought it was fine apart from the surface area

My Bees thought it was hard but about the same as usual

The As were mixed ... but certainly seemed to know what had been asked about

Still ... roll on Friday [​IMG]

Ah that explains things

12. Agreed to some extent but I thought there were enough marks for a C

13. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Sry yes I was referring to linear but unfortunately it had a lot of common problems!

14. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

and aslo some problems in common!!