1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Edexcel Mock Examination results service" - anyone done anything whizzy with the data?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by munkster, Feb 7, 2017.

1. munkster

munkster New commenter

This was only sent out today but wondering whether anyone has done anything (or planning to do anything) clever with it yet?

Can we infer or guess any better than we have done already about grade boundaries do we think? Unless I've misinterpreted it there seems to be nearly 60,000 students who sat all three papers?

2. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Only had a brief scan, but the modal mark for P1 was 11 out of 80.
    IF the papers in the Summer are anywhere near as hard, there will be a national outcry.

3. munkster

munkster New commenter

I made it that 79% (ish) scored 18% or better. 18% seemed to be in the ballpark of what some were using as the grade 4 "pass" mark I think...?

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Grade 4 is not the "pass" mark. Grade 4 is pegged with the bottom of old grade C. But the "pass" mark (ie the official Good Pass) is Grade 5.

5. munkster

munkster New commenter

Well, all grades are a "pass" and I am aware of the grade 5 being "the new C" in time. I am more referring to the statement that broadly the same will get a 4 or better as got a C or better previously for comparison purposes.

6. munkster

munkster New commenter

ps - I am only looking at the Higher tier results for those figures I quoted above.

7. cal45

cal45 New commenter

I've spent some time looking at the data. It's frustrating that there is no easy way to match up the higher and found data. Does anyone know what the usual split between higher and found entries is? I'm assuming that there has been a shift to found?

8. pi r squared

pi r squared Occasional commenter

For AQA it was around 60/40 in favour of Foundation, but they tend to get a lot of adult education entries, so Edexcel may well be different. I think all exam boards are expecting a shift towards Foundation but no-one can really predict yet how it will look.