1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel markers Unofficial TES Club

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by leviosa, May 9, 2007.

1. I sound so greedy but the questions we mark while 'practising'...we don't get paid for? Don't want to spend hours practising for nothing.

2. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

No, we don't get paid but it is the equivalent of having looked at ten scripts before standardisation which we have always had to do...it helps to see how the kids have answered the questions (and I have already had one answer to 1a atheism which I had to phone Vic about...)

3. My allocation seems to be only parts c and d - no parts a and b.

4. Hugo don't you sleepp these days!??

yep my allocation seems to be the same apparently we appear to be expert markers. I'm slightly annoyed that nobody thought to mention it when they revised the contracts - does actually put a different take on things.

Won't get caught out wiht that one again!

5. PS

Noja I have NEVRE done pre stnadardisation marking ever yet as I've never had the scripts or stuff put online in time before this year!

LOL I know I should though so not whingeing

6. Oh and while I'm waffling - how do kids make the simplest question to answer into a nightmare one to mark that leaves you completely doubting your ability as a teacher who has been successfully marking papers for the board the last 5 years!

7. What do you mean by the last one Lev? I assume you mean the definition of Atheism.

Also question 9 or 10 counts as 1 item - not three items because of the QWC. It will be very interesting to see how many of those I have to do!

8. 576

576 Established commenter

currently on hold to e-pen where everyone is busy.

There's a new button 'commit scores' wasn't there last year.

Have been back through the training and can't find anything about it.

Can anyone help? Do I have to click it? When?

9. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Leviosa - the kids just don't read the mark scheme do they! What gets me is even when I do the key words over and over (and over and over) again, when they answer in the exam, they always answer it differently! Bloomin kids huh.
    576 - hope you get an answer soon - I don't know so when you get the answer, can you put it on here!

10. Well if we arent meant to press the 'commit scores' button then ooops! Because I have! I haven't had anything bad happen to me as a result...so it's not like that button in Lost! :)

11. And forgot to ask - how many of the practice marking do I have to do? I was doing about 5 or 6 of each I think and they seem pretty straight forward. Have emailed my team leader with any strange answers etc. I'm presuming this is ok? (Noja?!) :)

12. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Sounds right Venus - I think one of the problems I had last night was that the ones scanned are all from a few centres so we aren't yet seeing the spread of answers - if you have done a few of each, I would leave it and have a look again on Monday or Tuesday to give the scanners time to put more into the system. Enjoy your weekend because next weekend will start the manic season x

13. Don't want to whinge but could they not have put the levels of response on the markscheme in grids this year like last year? My markscheme is really hard to read! It's all squished up and not very user friendly!

14. 576

576 Established commenter

Very nice lady at e-pen not 100% sure about the commit button.

We think that you use it if you have gone back to review responses and changed marks as a final yes.

But should be okay not using it and just plodding along like last year with summit.

15. I'm getting thrown off....i go to log on and as soon as i type one number it says session timed out. Before I ring has any one expereinced anything similar?

16. Why do I appear to be marking A level physics papers from January???

17. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

EM - are you on the live site? If so, choose GCSE and then you shouldn't get A'level - if it's the practice site, I can't remember but I have a feeling we got maths papers one year!
    Seamus - a few people have had this - ring the help desk (sorry, don't have an answer)

18. Yep, found it....Q1c hasn't been answered very well so far - not very many actually explaining!

19. Seamus - check that you don't have a popup blocker installed - the site did that to me, then I noticed a bar at the top that reminded me I had popups blocked.

20. Noja - can I email you quickly? Have a query! :)