1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel International IGCSE for UK state schools

Discussion in 'English' started by timetotravel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. We are thinking of switching to Edexcel's International IGCSE for UK state schools Language and Lit courses. They have now been accredited. There are no controlled assessments and the course content seems more manageable than the current WJEC courses. There seems to be less material to cover and no prep. and writing of CAs to factor in. There might even be time to enjoy it!
    It is also single tier entry which is appealing.
    Does anyone have any experience of teaching these courses?
    Thanks

2. We are thinking of switching to Edexcel's International IGCSE for UK state schools Language and Lit courses. They have now been accredited. There are no controlled assessments and the course content seems more manageable than the current WJEC courses. There seems to be less material to cover and no prep. and writing of CAs to factor in. There might even be time to enjoy it!
    It is also single tier entry which is appealing.
    Does anyone have any experience of teaching these courses?
    Thanks

3. manc

manc New commenter

Me.
    We changed from the craptastic WJEC course (and judging by its brutal marking of Unit 1, not before time), and we're loving it. It's like teaching used to before the days of micro-management.
    You don't even have to do a Shakespeare play, although I think it would be wise.

4. Just out of interest, why do you think it would be wise? Are you thinking ahead to A level?

5. manc

manc New commenter

Yes, I teach in an 11-18.
    Unfortunately in 11-16 there are far fewer scruples. They don't care about A level so long as their GCSE stats look good.
    Or am I[​IMG] being an old cynic?

6. manc

manc New commenter

Yeah - who cares eh?
    Threadstoppers are us.

7. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Manc, did you do a straight swap from WJEC to IGCSE? Or did you keep the WJEC running and try the IGCSE with one set? I have looked at this as WJEC is becoming so hard to manage because I now supervise so many controlled assessments in class and consequently lose this time for teaching! Are your students enjoying it as well as you?

8. manc

manc New commenter

We did WJEC with Year 11 (we loved the old legacy spec), saw how rubbish the new spec was going to be, and ditched it pronto (we do IGCSE with Year 10). They do like it (I think) - and we staff certainly do.

9. We really liked the old WJEC spec but hate the new one which is why we are changing. Do you do lang and lit across the ability range? We wondered whether to do the Edexcel GCSE English with the lower ability group. It does involve controlled assessments but is more manageable.
    With the old WJEC spec we offered lit to all students and, reluctantly, we have decided to concentrate on English for a group of next year's Year 11 because we feel that this group needs to take things more slowly than the new course permits.
    Ideally, I would like to offer lang and lit to all students, as we did before.

10. Don't forget that in order to for your English results to be eligible for the A*-C measure (Eng/Ma) you have to enter the students for a literature qualification as well.

Quote from Edexcel FAQs:

Please note as for GCSE pupils must take both the Certificate in English Language and the Certificate in English Literature and achieve at least a grade C in English Language. This is to ensure that anyone achieving the Level 2 threshold has studied the whole English curriculum.

Remember as well that students have to attain at least a G in English Literature - just entering isn't enough.

You can mix and match GCSE / IGCSE though - quite a lot of the schools I work with are doing this now.

11. Thanks. I was thinking of doing the GCSE English course with this particular group which I think is fine as a single course, qualifying in the 5 A-C's. Ideally, I would prefer to do IGSCE certificate in lang and lit with all of them.

12. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

The requirement to cover both Language and Literature is in order to meet the programmes of study for the national curriculum. Since post-16 students are not subject to the demands of the NC, 6th form and FE colleges are free to teach just the Language qualification. I have no knowledge of how Universities view this but it would seem obvious if students are going on to study English at HE level, a Literature GCSE would be in their favour, if not mandatory. You would need to check this out with UCAS I suppose.

13. Thanks. I contacted AQA and they assured me that Language was adequate for university entrance, but I never entirely trust AQA...

14. We do it and it seems to work quite well, though the anthologies are a bit dull to grind through. Take a look at the CIE version as well - I have put some material on the resource board here to assist...

Worth the change -WJEC is vile; choose carefully!

15. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

In our inner London comp we have been doing th OCR Lang and lit course. We love the texts but the content and CA requirement is insane and we do nothing but assess them.
    We are thinking of changing to OCR single with edexcel igcse lit. Does anyone have any experience of this spec? I am concerned about the unseen part of the exam, with our middle ability in partiular.
    Any ideas/comments/advice much appreciated!