1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel IGCSE and E Bacc

Discussion in 'Science' started by 2Tony2, Jan 26, 2011.

1. We have been planning to move to the Edexcel IGCSE for our triple science students. However the documentation about English Baccalaureate does not show this course as counting towards it. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it an omission? Will it change for next year?
    A comment from Edexcel would be particularly useful.

2. We have been planning to move to the Edexcel IGCSE for our triple science students. However the documentation about English Baccalaureate does not show this course as counting towards it. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it an omission? Will it change for next year?
    A comment from Edexcel would be particularly useful.

3. headofmaths

headofmaths New commenter

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/Pages/edexcel-certificate.aspx

Looks like Maths has just been approved. They are just waiting for the Science specs to be approved.

They seem to be renaming "Edexcel Certificate" but, for maths, I am assured this is the same spec as the IGCSE.

I confirmed it would be OK for my students to sit in 2012 at a state school. Have not asked about 2011.

Hope this helps.

4. Edexcelscienceteam

Edexcelscienceteam New commenter

The current list of specifications which count towards the EBacc was written retrospecively and reflects those qualifications that had been accredited for use in state-funded schools in the UK in June 2010. At that stage, the government had not announced the extension of IGCSE to state schools and so Edexcel had not submitted its IGCSEs for accreditation.
    <font size="2" color="#0000ff"></font>However, after the government's announcement, Edexcel has now submitted IGCSEs in the "core" subjects to Ofqual for accredidation. Accreditation for IGCSE English has been granted; and Edexcel are working to complete the accreditation process for other IGCSEs - including Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Science Double Award - as soon as possible. We believe that we are on course to obtain accreditation before the next IGCSE examination series and would, therefore, expect to have these specifications added to the list of accredited courses towards the EBacc.
    <font size="2" color="#0000ff"></font>

5. Thanks
    I am grateful for clear, quick responses.