1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE writing task question

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by whapbapboogy, Mar 7, 2012.

1. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Hello,
    I can't find the info- could you help me, please?
    Are students allowed conjugated verbs on the controlled assessment sheet ( where they can write 30 notes/bullet points and up to 5 small drawings to help them remember)?

Thanks.

2. No I don't believe they are. Have checked with department, we've been on training courses (2yrs hence, mind...) and believe we all think that this is the case because of what we heard there. have just scooted through the Edexcel folder and can't find information on it either....
    I don't allow mine to, that's for sure. I would hate to have them write something like that, submit it, and have it bar the whole piece for the sake of one/two conjugated verbs.
    Mind you... what about providing dictionaries that have verb and grammar sections in the middle - can you work around it that way?

3. whapbapboogy

thanks, Pinski. I don't think they can be allowed to have conguated verbs. Daft it's not absolutely clear they are not allowed to, though.......

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think they rae - it is AQA who say no

5. lasketchup

lasketchup New commenter

A colleague who went on a recent course told me that conjugated verbs are allowed (inconsistency in inof from the exam board? now, there's a surprise....). The trainer said that it would be a good idea to do something like:
    j'ai mangé ...
    bu
    vu
    joué
    je suis allé
    venu
    and thus have 6 correct perfect tense phrases, without worrying about what it was you ate, drank, played etc.
    I was also told (but can't vouch for the reliability of my source) that the sheets are not looked at, and that as long as they haven't actually written the whole thing out, they should be fine.

6. mpc

mpc

I think you are allowed conjugated verbs for Edexcel (I certainly can't find anywhere where it says you can't have them...)

7. The sheets do get checked, but as long as they do not write the whole thing out it's fine. If they do write full sentences on prep sheet, then these get ignored in the final piece.

8. Edexcel <u>does</u> permit the use of conjugated verbs on their CA4 form. I have had this re-confirmed by the exam board this year, and still have the email as proof! By not encouraging your students to do this you would be massively failing them since the key to a grade C is being able to accurately form verbs and use tenses!

9. whapbapboogy

So with Edexcel you can, with AQA you can't. Talk about giving them a grade C on a plate!

10. <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" style="width:100%;">

<tr style="margin-bottom:16px;">
    <td colspan="2" style="background-color:#e0e0e0;">Contact History</td></tr>
    <td style="padding-right:4px;padding-left:4px;background-color:#c6d3ba;"> Response
    (******************)
    </td>
    <td style="padding-right:4px;padding-left:4px;background-color:#c6d3ba;" align="right">22/09/2011 04.16
    PM</td></tr>
    <td colspan="2" style="padding-right:4px;padding-left:4px;">Dear ******************,

Yes candidates may use conjugated
    verbs on the CA2 form.

We are currently reviewing all forms and
    procedures to make them more straight forward. The new Guidance document will be
    on the web site in November.
    If you plan on doing your Controlled
    Assessments before then please continue with the same forms. I expect the CA2
    and CA4 forms will stay the same.

Kind regards,

MFL Subject Team
    </td></tr>
    </table>