1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Unit 3/AS Unit 2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by mitchso, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hi All
    Just a quick message regarding the notes visiting examiners make. Can we ask to see notes made by the examiners, as we are completely confused by some of the practical marks that our students are getting.
    We seem to get the coursework marks fairly accurate across both stages, but really struggle to see where the practical marks are awarded.
    Subtle, controlled acting seems to have been marked far lower than a more melodramatic 'screamy' style. We just need to try and get a little bit more tight on this unit, as subjectivity is tough enough!!
    Any help on how we may go about this would be greatly received.

2. Hi All
    Just a quick message regarding the notes visiting examiners make. Can we ask to see notes made by the examiners, as we are completely confused by some of the practical marks that our students are getting.
    We seem to get the coursework marks fairly accurate across both stages, but really struggle to see where the practical marks are awarded.
    Subtle, controlled acting seems to have been marked far lower than a more melodramatic 'screamy' style. We just need to try and get a little bit more tight on this unit, as subjectivity is tough enough!!
    Any help on how we may go about this would be greatly received.

3. You will need to ask your examinations officer to order them for you. I have done so in the past.
    It does cost so maybe decide now on your chosen sample - eg candidates whose marks were way off your prediction and a safe bet- a serious - v- comedy.
    I think that sometimes 'screamy' style can be easier to mark for an examiner but overacting is marked down too! For once my most naturalistic ones scored best this year, my examiner didn't see to like comedy as much this year - which of course links to your comment about the exam being so subjective.
    Have you also accessed the breakdown of Results Plus, I found it interesting as realised that we tended to be weakest at vocal skills and will pay attention to this more next year

4. Thanks for that rentonave, very informative.
    With costs, ill probably look into AS as a priority.
    I havent accessed Results plus, just the edexcelonline breakdown scores for each unit. Ill start with that, as I may be able to see things a bit clearer. Sounds very useful, as i try to use that criteria through the rehearsal process.
    I may be bucking the trend but i'm generally pleased with Edexcel this year, just really want to pinpoint these two units, as they are the most uncontrollable in a sense.

Thanks!

5. Interestingly, our more naturalistic or subtle monologues didn't do as well as the ones with bigger or more obvious emotions. Not sure if that's just a coincidence or if that's significant.

Our vocal is slightly lower. Our kids have pretty string regional accents and I'm not sure whether that's worked against them at AS this year.

6. If anyone wants any advice regarding Unit 2 AS - I am an examiner and can give some guidance; particularly regarding WPCs but this in no way means that I'm some sort of expert but I might be able to help. PM me if you want.
    Nicky[​IMG]