1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Unit 2 Controlled Assessment - Notes/Writing Frames

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by corblimeyguvnor, Dec 13, 2011.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering how much you all do in the way of notes and writing frames for Unit 2 of the GCSE, particularly for the Live Theatre Review part?
    I have scrutinised the Controlled Assessment document from Edexcel and it does imply that notes (not in prose) and writing frames can be taken into the room with them.
    I don't want to disadvantage my students by not giving them as much help in this as other schools give, but where is the line between too little and too much help?
    If I were to give thema writing frame with the suggested areas they cover (e.g. Set, costume etc) and then allow them to make notes on each section (bullet points), can they discuss these notes with each other? Can I do a class discussion on the play we see and let them take notes?
    The reason I am bringing this up is that I met another Dram teacher who does this and I am not sure if this is too much assistance? Equally I know that I can't just let them watch the play and then sit in the OC room for ages writing at random - they need some idea of what to cover.
    Can I also let student see the exemplars from the Edexcel site (obviously not taking them into the controlled assessment with them, but seeing them beforehand?)
    Thesea re all things I would like to do, but don't want to contravene the rules (I was off on maternity leave last year during Unit 2 so this is the first time I have delivered it).
    Thanks in advance for any clarification

2. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering how much you all do in the way of notes and writing frames for Unit 2 of the GCSE, particularly for the Live Theatre Review part?
    I have scrutinised the Controlled Assessment document from Edexcel and it does imply that notes (not in prose) and writing frames can be taken into the room with them.
    I don't want to disadvantage my students by not giving them as much help in this as other schools give, but where is the line between too little and too much help?
    If I were to give thema writing frame with the suggested areas they cover (e.g. Set, costume etc) and then allow them to make notes on each section (bullet points), can they discuss these notes with each other? Can I do a class discussion on the play we see and let them take notes?
    The reason I am bringing this up is that I met another Dram teacher who does this and I am not sure if this is too much assistance? Equally I know that I can't just let them watch the play and then sit in the OC room for ages writing at random - they need some idea of what to cover.
    Can I also let student see the exemplars from the Edexcel site (obviously not taking them into the controlled assessment with them, but seeing them beforehand?)
    Thesea re all things I would like to do, but don't want to contravene the rules (I was off on maternity leave last year during Unit 2 so this is the first time I have delivered it).
    Thanks in advance for any clarification

3. dande

dande New commenter

That is something you will need to decide very much for yourself. I suppose it depends on how 'honest' you want to be with yourself.
    I have not interrogated the new guidance document fully so cannot say what is and isn't deemed acceptable from the exam board, but what you suggest says to me that you are preparing the students for completing the controlled assessment. You are giving them the support they require to complete the work. You mention students discussing what they have seen, what is to stop them doing this outside of lessons?
    I suggest you try 'ask the expert' as they should be able to offer the correct advice.

4. What you suggest seems reasonable to me. The point of Controlled conditions is that the work is always in your sight. It's NOT exam conditions. So, yes, give them a framework and they write their notes. Yes, discuss as a class - the bright ones will use what they hear constructively, the less bright will forget much of it anyway! Yes, show them exemplars so they know what a Level 1 or a Level 3 looks like. (Reminder for later: when you are marking, that to achieve a mark in Level 1 it says that the quality of written communication must be faultless - so a spelling error or a missing apostrophe immediately puts it at the top of level 2.) You don't seem to be contravening any rules. After all, for this exam, you need to follow the Spec and the ICE. The ICE is the important document - the title of it really, says how important it is!

5. It may have been.
    It's now the Administrative Support Guide.
    Not such a giveaway title.

6. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

There are some writing frames for GCSE Edexcel Drama that I posted in the Resoures Section. Students have used them with success and it helps meet the assessmet criteria and gives them structure and starting sentences.

7. These are for the previous specification
    These are for the previous specification. They may still be useful to some extent for the new spec. but need amending before issuing to students.