1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Science tests - grade boundaries for 9-1

Discussion in 'Science' started by sabaticalgirl, Jan 9, 2017.

1. sabaticalgirl

sabaticalgirl New commenter

I'd be interested to hear how other schools are using these tests to give 9-1 scores for their Y10 students. We're finding that the tests are very demanding, and that students are scoring fairly low marks, due to the level of detail in the markscheme. We're using the grade boundaries for each test to give a step for each student, which we can then convert into a 9-1 grade using the Edexcel indicative grades, but these are coming out way below students' targets. How is everyone else getting on using these tests?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

3. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

We are finding the same. The tests have some oddly specific questions (definition of 'inertial mass'?). When looking at the results if we believe the suggestion that students will make 2 Edexcel steps progress per year then the scores don't look too bad for us. It just feels wrong to suggest that a student who gets a grade 3 on a test in Nov of Y10 will get a 5 on the same content when tested in Y11 even though they may well not have been taught that material before.

My gut feeling is that the standard required on the edexcel tests is way higher than will be actually required in the actual exams - scores are going to be pretty low otherwise!

4. sabaticalgirl

sabaticalgirl New commenter

I thought that the Edexcel system worked on students making one steps progress per year? Reassuring to find that others are finding the tests hard too! We are definitely doing the Y10 exams in May.

5. garmcqui

garmcqui New commenter

which Edexcel tests are you discussing please? Are there end of topic tests available?