1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE results

Discussion in 'Music' started by Shivvyshoes, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Well, colleagues, what is the verdict on this year's results? I've found that my overall grades are ok but the Listening paper results are much more varied than I anticipated. Whilst there are some excellent marks, there are also some very low ones that look quite bizarre. What have other people found? Results as expected or not?

2. I haven't got the individual module results yet, but my overall results were pretty much as I predicted. We had a range of grades but I think everyone mostly got what they deserved. I was happy.

I was a bit worried when I saw the listening paper; it was significantly easier than I had thought. I was concerned that this might ultimately mean grade boundaries would be too low so as not to allow the bright ones to shine. My worries were obviously unfounded.

In mocks, my lot usually did poorly. In retrospect, this was probably because they were too difficult. We've got a much clearer idea now on what the board is looking for with this new spec, so this can only be good for future cohorts.

3. KingShosters

KingShosters New commenter

I'm with you on the listening paper marks. A fair number of top end marks, a fair number of lower marks (in the 20s) and not much in the middle ground. Almost makes you wonder if they lost part of some of the papers!

4. Exactly, KingShosters. I actually thought my students were well prepared for this exam but some of them scored lower than weaker students in previous years on the old paper. I think I'm going to have to ask for some re-marks.