1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE oral marks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lalspc, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Ok, I'm quite new to all of this, but can anybody explain why a candidate who achieves 30 marks in the GCSE speaking components can be awarded a C for this skill in French, but a D in Spanish? Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere, but this doesn't make sense! The exam is the same. This was also the case in the January exams. I can understand how this could be the case for listening or reading, as the papers may be slightly more/less difficult, but surely talking about your favourite pop star in Spanish or French is of the same difficulty level? Any ideas gratefully received...

2. Ok, I'm quite new to all of this, but can anybody explain why a candidate who achieves 30 marks in the GCSE speaking components can be awarded a C for this skill in French, but a D in Spanish? Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere, but this doesn't make sense! The exam is the same. This was also the case in the January exams. I can understand how this could be the case for listening or reading, as the papers may be slightly more/less difficult, but surely talking about your favourite pop star in Spanish or French is of the same difficulty level? Any ideas gratefully received...

3. I have yet to look at our French marks in detail but they are well above and beyond the Spanish ones which are certainly horrendous with almost all of them having been marked down from our judgement. Our French results overall were A LOT higher. I'll have a look and get back to you.

4. frenchy18

frenchy18 New commenter

Gutted does not even cover it, about to post on the other thread about this. Have been woken up by an almighty storm and can't sleep for thinking about what a joke this is.