1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE new spec Unit 3

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by crunchynut, Jun 16, 2010.

1. I've been looking at this this morning and trying to apply the marking criteria to a performance by my Y10 class. If I've done the maths correctly, someone who is at the bottom of the 'excellent' band is coming out at a C and someone at the bottom of the good band is coming out as an E!
    Tell me my maths is at fault please!
    I've given them a mark out of 20 for each of the 3 assessment criteria then totalled it to a mark of 60. I've then used the guidelines on pg 45 of the online specification to grade them. The uniform mark is out of 120 so I've doubled the mark out of 60 to get a mark out of 120. With me so far?
    So a kid who's just in the excellent bracket getting 13+13+13 = 36/60. Which, to calculate the uniform mark, is 72/120. Edexcel reckon this is just a C. But they are excellent??!!
    I'm hoping that the end of year madness has set in and I'm doing this all wrong - otherwise I am quite concerned about my marks for next year!
    Help!

2. I've been looking at this this morning and trying to apply the marking criteria to a performance by my Y10 class. If I've done the maths correctly, someone who is at the bottom of the 'excellent' band is coming out at a C and someone at the bottom of the good band is coming out as an E!
    Tell me my maths is at fault please!
    I've given them a mark out of 20 for each of the 3 assessment criteria then totalled it to a mark of 60. I've then used the guidelines on pg 45 of the online specification to grade them. The uniform mark is out of 120 so I've doubled the mark out of 60 to get a mark out of 120. With me so far?
    So a kid who's just in the excellent bracket getting 13+13+13 = 36/60. Which, to calculate the uniform mark, is 72/120. Edexcel reckon this is just a C. But they are excellent??!!
    I'm hoping that the end of year madness has set in and I'm doing this all wrong - otherwise I am quite concerned about my marks for next year!
    Help!

3. Im still trying to figure out if they are going to present us with one of those stupid conversion tables like the old spec...
    Im seriously thinking of changing specs, the controlled asssessment is a nightmare. I have students from all abilities and trying to get them to complete the coursework at the same time is a nightmare. We should be giving them opportunities to make thier work the best, not hider them by putting them under pressure.

Just my view....

4. Why is it a nightmare? As I understand it they can make lots of notes (drafts?) in the run up to the controlled assessments, which can be taken home and which we can help with. It's only the final write up that will be in controlled conditions. To be honest, I think it might be easier as a lot of mine are just disorganised about getting coursework in so if they have to sit in silence in lessons to do it, it might actually be easier!
    I don't think there's a conversion chart coming from what I remember from the course I went on. It's certainly not as complicated as the old spec, with resp/devel/eval and the 40/20 marks and blah blah blah!

My big worry is that we've been told that the 'outstanding' bracket should really be only used for exceptional kids. But if we don't use it, and use only excellent, then very good kids - who are A grade material - will only get Bs/Cs. It was already hard enough to get an A* in drama, it seems like it's going to be even harder now. [​IMG]

5. Ok...so it was my mistake!! The mark is out of 80 (thank god I teach drama not maths!) so with some calculations I've figured out that they have to get straight 16s (the top of the Excellent band) to get an A - the rest of excellent is B. That still seems pretty high, seeing as A and A* were both classed as Excellent last year. I guess we just have to alter our perception of excellent?

6. I have made an edexcel spreadsheet which works out the total marks for you if that would help. Send me msg via profile and I'll send it to you. I've had it with Edexcel though. I'm struggling with marking using that scheme - where do you get info about grade conversions. Also does anyone know if there are any materials to show us what a good/outstanding etc. looks like?

7. Hi
    Could you please send me one of these sheets too. I'm busy trying to work out marks and grades and it's totally confusing me so I think this would stop me from getting too grey!
    My email address is nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks
    Nicky

8. Hi Fadingstar,

I'm sharing in the grading confusion! Could I please nab one of your spreadsheets from you if possible?

My email address is emmathayer80@hotmail.com

Many many thanks

Emma

9. Just seen this. I'd LOVE a copy of the spreadsheet please! :) It's drama.jsm@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

10. Hey Crunchynut

I met with an Edexcel Advisor to clarify recent changes to Controlled Assessment at GCSE. They are not allowed to draft their work at all - only allowed one shot at it and the teacher cannot have marked or edited it in any way. Notes/pre drawn diagrams are allowed but cannot be written in continuous prose. Quite a scary prospect for some of my weaker students who really needed the benefit of drafting on the old spec. It can also be quite difficult to give extra time to those students who are entitled to it on top of lesson time.

I do agree wholeheartedly with the problems the 'outstanding' bracket creates - particularly with the already ludicrous 97% needed to achieve an A*. We were however delighted this year as all our students received 40/40 for Paper 2. Not true of our AS Unit 2 marks which were awful - losing all but one of our students their A and B grades.

11. Wow catshowe - it is virtually impossible to get 40/40 I am very impressed - i have had just two in my whole edexcel teaching career
    Can I ask you what you did and if you had a big cohort or a particularly talented one or just a really nice examiner!
    I am so desperate to get good Paper 2 marks that i will take all the advice I can!!!!
    ps - how did you meet with the advisor?? I have had two GCSE courses cancelled on me so far so found it hard last year to deliver Paper One - i really think they should have a compulsory standardisation meeting like they do with a lot of other subjects

12. Hi I would love acopy too, you have started smething here and I am sure there must be an easier way somewhere some how lol ycooksley@live.co.uk Much appreciated : )

13. We were really happy too Rentonave! We had predicted about five to get full marks but were blown away that all achieved it.

Our numbers for GCSE tend to be quite small so we often don't have more than two/three groups. I also opt for scripted performance as the quality of the work is so often better than going down the devised route and casting here can really play a big part in ensuring the students do their best. We are lucky because the students perform in a production for each year group as they progress up the school and many also take LAMDA so they've had lots of performance experience before they get to the Paper 2/Unit 3 of GCSE.

When Edexcel launched the new spec they were offering appointments with advisors to come out and specifically talk about Controlled Assessment. I think you can in any case book someone to come to your school to talk to departments and/or deliver training if you need it. I know what you mean about cancellation of courses - I had two cancelled on Unit 1 of AS Level and have found it difficult to get to standardisation sessions. In the end I went on a KeyNote course with Alan Perks - who is great and it was very informative.

Good luck with Unit 3 next year!!

14. Dear fading star,

If you're still with Edexcel(!), any chance of a copy of your spreadsheet please?
    Ta!
    Mr. B