1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Music - June 2019

Discussion in 'Music' started by jacobwoolley17, Jun 4, 2019.

1. jacobwoolley17

jacobwoolley17 New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone managed to get a look at the music paper and what thoughts/comments are on it?

Also I'm having difficulty finding the name of the unfamiliar piece so was wondering if anyone could help with that.

Cheers :)

2. davidsimkinsjnr

davidsimkinsjnr New commenter

Hi @jacobwolley17

There are a few things about the paper I found interesting from my point of view:
    1. Students could get a lot of marks from being very familiar with 20th century content (Debussy essay, Q5 new directions, Stravinsky listening question).
    2. Q5 was very similar to some of Stravinsky's writing in 'The Rite of Spring'. The trap here for some students is that their only wider listening comparisons will be to Stravinsky and they won't refer enough to other works.
    3. No sign of Anoushka Shankar or Courtney Pine - surely they'll come up next year?!
    4. There were a lot more 'what chord?' and 'what key?' questions in the paper, which may frustrate those students who have spent plenty of time learning content, only to find it's down to aural skills as opposed to long term memory.
    5. There seems to be a 'date' question in every paper. Last year it was Vivaldi. This year it was Stravinsky. Next year. . . ?
    Unfortunately I'm not sure what the Q5 piece was either, but if you find out, please let me know.

By the way, if anyone's interested, I've just uploaded all my revision materials after the 'fallout' of this year's exam. Some very detailed notes there, why not check it out?
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/davidsimkinsjnr

Cheers :)

3. davidsimkinsjnr

Hi again all!

I've been doing some digging and have found that the unfamiliar question 5 listening piece was (drum roll):
    Witold Lutoslawski - Concerto For Orchestra Movement 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IYw_8xzkWE

On this youtube clip I've added a comment with the exact time the extract starts (2:13).

Two other points about the paper in retrospect, further to my last comment:

1. Music students who are more interested with the Pop/Jazz side of music, and less secure with the theory and contextual background, will have struggled on the listening questions where the identifying of keys/chords was necessary.

2. It seems EDEXCEL have given up (for the moment at least) writing an 'in relation to' part to the essay questions. For example, on the spec q6s it says:
    • Evaluate . . . in relation to the work’s programme (Berlioz)
    • Evaluate . . . showing how these elements create a piece of fusion music. (Se Quema la Chumbambà)
    • Evaluate in relation to other orchestral works from the first half of the 20th Century. (Stravinsky)
    Notice how these all prompt contextual responses and linking in the students answers. Since these are seemingly absent from the essay questions on the 2019 paper, some students may have neglected to refer to the style/context of pieces without this prompt. Another examiner trap?!

Don't forget to check out all my revision materials - some sale now on!
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/davidsimkinsjnr

Cheers:)

4. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

@davidsimkinsjnr Have you got any annotated scores for your A level music notes that you have diligently produced? I find annotated scores help a lot with understanding what is going on in the music.

davidsimkinsjnr likes this.
  5. davidsimkinsjnr

@krakowiak6 yes I do. They're very detailed with my handwritten notes - there's writing all over them! You're right, it definitely helps to listen to the music and follow the score through, reading your notes at the same time. Are you interested in copies?

6. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Yes please. Have you got a link to them?

7. davidsimkinsjnr