1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Music- how do you teach the set works?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foxys_folk_faced, May 1, 2012.

1. foxys_folk_faced

foxys_folk_faced New commenter

I was just wondering what approaches other people give to teaching the set works? I am lucky enough to have a rather bright set of year 10s this year and so a "lecture-style" lesson works well where they take notes from the powerpoint and we have discussions etc.

I am wondering what other approaches people have tried as its pretty hard going stuff- any ideas for fun ways to deliver it etc??

Thanks in advance!

2. foxys_folk_faced

foxys_folk_faced New commenter

I was just wondering what approaches other people give to teaching the set works? I am lucky enough to have a rather bright set of year 10s this year and so a "lecture-style" lesson works well where they take notes from the powerpoint and we have discussions etc.

I am wondering what other approaches people have tried as its pretty hard going stuff- any ideas for fun ways to deliver it etc??

Thanks in advance!

3. I used boomwhackers with mine to create a performance of mozart symph. 40. Also did a timeline of the work on A3/A2 sheets where they track and notate + annotate important bits (revision session).

4. I have a set of twelve booklets with background information in - the booklets have blanks in or questoins about the pieces which we answer as we go along. they collect the set and use them to revise.
    I am increasingly trying to link practical work with the listening - so in the blues I get them to perform all blue using whatever instruments we have. Everyone has to play thekeyboard part. I then link this to a blues composition task which can be expanded to be a coursework task.
    I treat the Reich, the Moby, the Waulking Song and the Chopin in the same way.
    Linking listening, composing and performing is by far the most powerful method of getting the essentials to stick and also develops rounded musicians. However, for quit a lot of the time it's chalk and talk as they fill in those booklets.

5. A more interesting question is "What order do you teach them"??

6. casper

casper New commenter

I teach Area of Study 1 first, then West Side Story. Next I teach Moby and Jeff Buckley. Blues, then Area of study 4 . T then go back and teach the rest of Area study 2. I too link practical work and composition to the set works.