1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Music help

Discussion in 'Music' started by littlemysterious, Jul 23, 2018.

1. littlemysterious

littlemysterious New commenter

I have a few questions, if anyone can help.
    Some of which are stupid, so please forgive.

1. Am I right in thinking that if a child chooses a very difficult piece it is assessed at the higher levels and that an easier piece can only be marked at the lower/ mid level and not the higher levels?
    I hope that makes sense.

2. Stupid question - why do the assessment grids only go to 4 and 5 and not 9. I'm certain I have the right one. (2019/20)

3. Can a student perform one of the pieces from the set works in the Appraising section.

4. can a child refer to other works by the same composer, and wider range or do they have to stick to the obvious comparisons.

I'm trying to help somebody understand the spec. I am a teacher, but not this level.

Many thanks if anyone can answer me.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes. The full range of marks is only available to those who play at Difficulty Level 3 or above. Difficulty Level 3 broadly equates to a piece set for Grade 3 in the graded music exam system. It is worth adding that almost all teachers agree that students are likely to get a better mark with a good performance of a piece well within their grasp than with a performance of a difficult piece marred by hesitations and errors. In other words, going for the highest possible difficulty level will often NOT generate the best mark uinless the child is clearly musically talented: a well-rehearsed but easier "party piece" is often better.

I haven't seen a separate spec for 2019/20. Can you give the URL of what you have found?

There is no performance in the Appraising paper - it is a listening test (unless things have suddently changed!). Again, could you confirm you are looking at the right spec?

A wider range is fine. The most important thing is that the candidate must show how any such references are relevant to the question and not just things learnt off "parrot fashion".

3. nattig

nattig New commenter

1. Yes you are correct :)
    2. I'm not sure what you are looking at - are you sure it's for the 9-1 levels, not the mark scheme?
    3. they can - but they should perform something that is going to show off their abilities. It doesn't need to be connected to the set works at all.
    4. Yes they can.

Hope that helps :)

4. florian gassmann

Sorry, I think I earlier misunderstood the question. If you are asking if they can perform a set work as one of their pieces for the performance paper, then the answer is yes although there wouldn't be any particular advantage in doing so (studying the same piece for both listening and performance might risk getting rather bored with it: as nattig says above, it is best to choose something that best shows off the abilities of the student).

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I agree. I would say it is always better for a pupil to give a strong and confident performance of a piece which is well within their capabilities, rather than trying to play a more challenging piece where the performance is marred by errors.

6. littlemysterious

Hello again, thank you for the replies.
    I am still very confused but understand the answers.

I meant the spec with the bee on the front.
    I am very vague I know, my apologies. I don't understand the marking at all and supporting a very gifted one which needs to get a level 9.
    Why am I so worried, because whilst this should just be a case of turning up, I can guarantee something will happen, like reading half the questions. etc etc, I don't exaggerate.
    I'm not sure whether it will be taken 2019 or 2020, sorry for confusing you.

Forrian. I love you to bits. On another thread I saw a link you submitted, I can't find it now and would love to buy this, it's the Purcell. My daughter would think I was the best, if I got a copy.

Oh, her school will be fab, it's just holidays and I'm looking for strategies.

Thank you very much.

Can anybody explain the marking?

7. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

The mark scheme for controlled assessments won't be a mark out of 9 with 9 being a grade 9. For the purposes of this, maybe keep thinking of 1-9 as grades. The sum total of all the marks given in all assessments plus the listening exam will be calculated as a final grade. I think this is where you're getting crossed wires. I haven't taught the current spec so other colleagues please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. littlemysterious

Thank you.
    I saw the grids and decided it wasn't that important for me to understand it.
    Although I've taught, luckily Maths didn't come into it.
    I mentioned Killer Queen as it was on tv, i got rolled eyes, and the stage and screen will be a hoot. All things that won't gain any interest.
    Renaissance and Song are another thing though.
    Fusion will be no problem.
    Composing, absolutely no problem.
    Appraisal is anybody's guess. Likely to go off on one, might not fully understand what is expected in all components, despite huge intervention,.

it just goes to show that even those with huge potential (I hate G&T label), are challenged by GCSE's.
    I'm not sure if that's right as it's only a general certificate. A level should be challenging though.

9. florian gassmann

Not entirely sure, but it was probably the Rhinegold Study Guide for the new Edexcel GCSE spec (they also do a revision guide and practice papers). The only drawback with the Rhinegold guides is that some would say they are aimed at the more literate pupils, but they are thorough and in my experience accurate. The following sells it at a good discount:

https://www.educationumbrella.com/e...MI2-z2v4Dd3AIVSLHtCh1vTw1lEAQYBCABEgI_yPD_BwE

Also available in paper and kindle formats from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5EGZAI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

10. littlemysterious

Hello florian and thank you for that, I'll make sure I get a copy.
    apologies for spelling your username incorrectly, I have sticky keys for some reason.

However, unless I'm mistaken and it was another poster, it was a recording with various artists including Lynne Dawson (the one and only) My daughter is listening to some of her recordings at the moment, but despite Amazon searches I was unable to find it. I was hoping it wasn't rare.
    If it wasn't you, not to worry.

many thanks for the link, if she doesn't get one from school I'll make sure I buy one.

11. florian gassmann

I don't think it was me. By and large I recommend sticking to the Edexcel Anthology recordings of the set works (on which the Purcell is sung by Carolyn Sampson) as there can sometimes be material differences between different recordings, especially in the case of early music (different keys, different instruments, etc).

12. littlemysterious

Oh right, I must be confused, apologies.
    Yes, that makes sense of course and I hadn't considered that. it's quite important in this case too as she listens to various artists singing her chosen songs, for performances. Perhaps better she doesn't choose the Purcell for the performance part of the GCSE then.
    I'll make sure she only listens to this version until after the exam.
    Many thanks, this has been so useful.

Now off to look for that recording, minus the set work piece.
    Thanks again.

13. littlemysterious

Have just found it on pge 4 it's "Hoseanna in the highest" , can't link, but if it's available to you I'd love the info so I can buy it.