1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE marking

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by cpenguin, Jan 4, 2012.

1. cpenguin

cpenguin New commenter

Hi,
    I need your help please. We do the Edexcel Religion and Life Christianity unit, and following marking our mocks I'm in a bit of a dispute with my HoD.
    For the questions b) (do you think...) and c) (Explain why/how...) would any of you give pupils marks for giving an opposite point of view in thier answers? Or should they just get marks for giving their own opinion in b) and for explaining the Christian view in c)?
    I hope that makes some sense and would appreciate any answers from fellow Edexcellers!
    Thanks,
    Cpenguin

2. cpenguin

cpenguin New commenter

Hi,
    I need your help please. We do the Edexcel Religion and Life Christianity unit, and following marking our mocks I'm in a bit of a dispute with my HoD.
    For the questions b) (do you think...) and c) (Explain why/how...) would any of you give pupils marks for giving an opposite point of view in thier answers? Or should they just get marks for giving their own opinion in b) and for explaining the Christian view in c)?
    I hope that makes some sense and would appreciate any answers from fellow Edexcellers!
    Thanks,
    Cpenguin

3. Bit confused about what you're asking.
    Are you saying they've given a reason agreeing and a reason disagreeing in b? If so, I would give them the marks only if they have made it clear that they can't make their mind up and used the answers as to explain why. Otherwise I would expect 2 reasons agreeing or 2 disagreeing.

In c questions there shouldn't be any oppposite view point - just 4 reasons related exactly to question set e.g. Explain why Christians are against abortion - if they answered why some are for abortion in the question that wouldn't get any marks as it isn't what the question asks.

However, if it says explain why there are different views on abortion in Christianity then yes, it would be fine to give reasons both for and against.

4. Brummy Boy

Brummy Boy New commenter

Got to support Leviosa on the 'b' questions. I have marked for EDEXCEL for 6 years and I expect students to give either two arguments that agree or two that disagree. Do not give a balanced argument.

For 'c' are you talking about questions like 'Explain why Christians agree with ...'. In this case simply follow what the question says. Do not try to give a balanced argument.

Hope this helps

5. cpenguin

cpenguin New commenter

Thank you, that helps and confirms that I have been teaching my classes correctly! However, my HOD has been teaching his to give balanced arguments and both b) and c) questions. Now I just have to convince him that he shouldn't be doing that!

6. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

I recently went on the course with Edexcel in November based on last year's exam. For part B they said that yes they could give a balanced agree/disagree answer but only if that is what they think. They should not say 'some might disagree with me because....' However, they will accept 'I have mixed opinions because I agree to the point of....... because....... Saying that, I disagree to the point of.... because....' The key to this was that it had to be the student's actual opinions not someone else's and if they could make that clear, then Edexcel would award them the marks.

7. Are you saying that that you only give two marks if they give a balanced argument of their view?

8. Brummy Boy

Brummy Boy New commenter

If I remember correctly from last year then it still depends on the quality of the answer. If they have answered it very well and reads like a 4 marker then they would get two marks. If both points are basic then they would get one mark.

9. EG - They can only get 4 marks for a 2 sided viewpoint if they have made it totally clear that they can't make their mind up as far as I have been informed.

10. I agree as i mark for Edexcel. I was querying Brummyboy as I think he implied that he doesn't?

11. Ah OK, read it as though it was a general question.

12. Mind you I must admit, I try to dissaude them from giving a balanced argument as all too often they get in a mess and don't make it clear that it's their view.

13. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

True, but there is always someone who is just adamant that they can't make their mind up - so at least there is an option. However, Edexcel have said that part B and D questions should not be practiced at the same time - They need to do them separately so that they can properly distinguish between the two types of questions.