1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EdExcel GCSE ICT - Remoderation Advice

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by brad-ashley, Aug 28, 2016.

1. brad-ashley

brad-ashley New commenter

Does anyone on here have any experience of remoderating unit 2 Controlled Assessment for EdExcel's GCSE ICT (as in having been through it)?

What were the outcomes?

What time scales are involved?

Would you advise going down that route after having marks adjusted and a moderator's report that is frankly ridiculous?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You will never win!

The criteria are so general that a moderator can interpret them in any way they want. It only takes one of your moderated sample to be out of sync with the moderator's thoughts for your entire cohort to be marked down.

Relax. Accept it and save yourself the extra stress.

You will never win!

brad-ashley likes this.
  3. brad-ashley

Thanks for the advice binaryhex. So if I go down the route of remoderation, you don't think I'd get anywhere?

I just find this so unfair! Someone makes a comment about your marking and you just have to accept it. There should be a direct method of appeal - as in directly to the comments made.

I'd still like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

For example...
    One comment made says (for Activity 2's spreadsheet) ... "some models were not complex". That's CORRECT! Some were not complex (which is a requirement for the top marks), these models DID NOT get the marks, not a reason to adjust marks by any means.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Don't moderate for Edexcel, but would have thought that there would have been more than your quote. If it has been marked down a lot then it is likely that it will have been marked by a team leader as well. But if you feel that it is wrong go for a remark.

brad-ashley likes this.
  5. brad-ashley

Thanks for the info Wanet.

There's more than the quote, I don't agree with any of it .

That's 2 that say I should leave it though so maybe I should.

6. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

What you do really depends on how important the changes in grade outcomes are.

If the downgrading
    a) is preventing your students from going onto their course/destination of choice
    or
    b) will cause you serious grief in terms of management hassle or pay progression
    then pursue it further.

Otherwise just suck it up and move on..

brad-ashley likes this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"Some models" and "complex"

Which ones? Clearly, the moderator thought you gave more marks to some students than they deserved. Did they give you some example candidate numbers of students where they weren't happy? If not, you will have to go through all of them and try to second guess which one(s) caused a problem. Remember, only one needs to be out and they will all be marked down.

What is the definition of "complex" for your controlled assessment? Are you sure you are up-to-date on exactly what the exam board says "complex" means? Do all controlled assessments look more or less the same, the same complexity to a different teacher? If they all look the same, or some do, then they haven't worked independently and so can't be complex.

BTW, I absolutely hate controlled assessments. They are poorly defined, marks are easily adjusted to "maintain standards" by often poorly qualified and inexperienced moderators who aren't paid enough to mark properly with easy-to-justify reasons based on waffle specifications. From year to year, you can never be sure what the exam board want or will except. What is fine one year is not fine the next, but they won't tell you in advance!

I've appealed etc a number of times over the years with OCR. It's always a waste of time. I doubt your exam board is any difference. Unless there is a major reason not to, accept it and move on. Jump through a few hoops so your Head knows you now understand what the problem was and have taken appropriate action. :)

brad-ashley likes this.
  8. AyeTea

AyeTea New commenter

Did it one year after they had all been marked down. The moderators comments were just plain incorrect and contradicted the spec and guidance given. I wrote a letter arguing against each incorrect comment giving annotated examples. The grades were reinstated. I took it to the head first and they gave support for the remark. The kids and parents didn't complain but I couldn't leave it because I was annoyed at the poor judgement of the moderator, really disappointed for the kids, and upset at the impact of the lower than predicted results on my professional reputation.

brad-ashley likes this.
  9. brad-ashley

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mixed bag - I now have no confidence but I've decided I need to do this for the kids. Not one A* and some amazing work, they deserve better.

How long did a remoderation take Ayetea?

10. brad-ashley

What was the time scale of the remark??

11. AyeTea

AyeTea New commenter

Only a few weeks from September request.

brad-ashley likes this.