1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE entry levels - help!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by quokka2011, Jan 21, 2011.

1. quokka2011

quokka2011 New commenter

My Y11 students have recently completed the Edexcel GCSE papers from 2010 - both higher and foundation tiers and they all came out with really high grades on the higher papers but did badly on the foundation. For example one student whose target grade is a C achieved a B on the higher listening and F on the foundation. It seemed to be a lot easier to get grades A*-C on the higher yet only a couple could get C on the foundation. When we used to be with OCR, any students who hovered around the C grade would be put in for foundation as a C was pretty much a safe bet but with this new exam, I'm not so sure.

This has really thrown me, I thought I had straight in my head what tiers I would be entering them for but now I'm confused. I know it's only one paper and it could be a fluke but they all did better on the higher specimen paper also. We've been doing old OCR papers for exam practise and students who could just scrape an D/E are getting almost full marks on the Edexcel higher papers. I thought I was quite good at judging what tier to enter students for but now I don't know what to do!

Am I losing the plot or have the exams really gotten that much easier that students who would struggle on the old OCR exams to get a C could now potentially achieve a B/C without much difficulty? Is anyone else as confused as I am?

(And also why am I not able to split my post into smaller paragraphs?)

2. quokka2011

quokka2011 New commenter

My Y11 students have recently completed the Edexcel GCSE papers from 2010 - both higher and foundation tiers and they all came out with really high grades on the higher papers but did badly on the foundation. For example one student whose target grade is a C achieved a B on the higher listening and F on the foundation. It seemed to be a lot easier to get grades A*-C on the higher yet only a couple could get C on the foundation. When we used to be with OCR, any students who hovered around the C grade would be put in for foundation as a C was pretty much a safe bet but with this new exam, I'm not so sure.

This has really thrown me, I thought I had straight in my head what tiers I would be entering them for but now I'm confused. I know it's only one paper and it could be a fluke but they all did better on the higher specimen paper also. We've been doing old OCR papers for exam practise and students who could just scrape an D/E are getting almost full marks on the Edexcel higher papers. I thought I was quite good at judging what tier to enter students for but now I don't know what to do!

Am I losing the plot or have the exams really gotten that much easier that students who would struggle on the old OCR exams to get a C could now potentially achieve a B/C without much difficulty? Is anyone else as confused as I am?

(And also why am I not able to split my post into smaller paragraphs?)

3. ambi

ambi New commenter

Have found something similar as we did OCR 2010 new spec june papers as our mock in November and got similar results as you with edexel. Pupils were scraping a c or getting D or E on Foundation and then getting a B or even A on Higher. Didn't seem to make sense to me. What was strange though was that the cutoff points of raw marks to UMS were exactly the same for Reading and Listening. Have never done OCR before as we always used to do AQA but i would have thought there would be some difference between the 2 papers. This was the sams for both F and H