1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Drama written coursework: Controlled conditions?!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chickenlicken, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    So, i'm aware that with the new edexcel spec we teach 6 hours of workshopped lessons for the response phase and then the students have to write supporting notes to go alongside this. However, i just wanted to find out everyones thoughts and situations regarding this.

I'm currently at this stage with my year 10's and have tried to book a computer room for their lessons so they can type up their notes under controlled conditions, however, there is not a free computer room that falls the same time as their lesson this term!! Therefore i am having to get the students to hand write all their supporting notes. This i know will hinder many of my students especially SEN students who find this very difficult anyway.
    How does everyone else stand on this? Obviously some school's will more more equipt than others with availability of facilities and my students feel a bit let down that they may lose marks because of their poor handwritten skills.

Thoughts??

2. Apart from making the point to your SLT that your students have the same rights of access to the school's IT facilities as the Business Studies Group......
    .... they write it in school under controlled conditions, then type it up at home, handing both the typed and written versions to you to double-check nothing has changed.
    There is another way, but I'll be launching that on my website soon.
    Clive
    www.resources4drama.co.uk

3. Well Clive - I for one would be really interested to hear about your alternative way as I am finding the whole thing a logistical nightmare.
    Even to handwrite it would be difficult as I have no tables!!
    I will be awaiting your launch ...

4. You can't take controlled conditions work away from the room, firstly. Secondly, there's nothing in the spec that says work has to be typed. I'm getting my students to hand write it : it's easier, even for the less able.

5. My lot are simply working on it in class time. I will make sure that they have detailed and relevant notes which we will do in class and then they will type it all out on lap tops or I'll book a computer room in class time. They then simply email me the work and are not allowed to do any of it at home. I think its better as you don't get the one student who will say "I forgot to do/bring my coursework when it's deadline day.......

6. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    Some of my SEN students are entitled to a scribe. this does cause problems as the SENCO will have to provide TAs

7. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    Some of my SEN students are entitled to a scribe. this does cause problems as the SENCO will have to provide TAs
    -

8. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, t

9. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the

10. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the students are

11. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the students

12. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the students are entitled

13. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the students are entitled to it

14. i would speak to your SLT and try and get a computer room if poss.
    - however, the students are entitled to it.

15. i have no idea why my last message has copied loads of times!

16. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Do you have revision or coursework days where you could bring them in? Ours were in over Easter