1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Drama Unit 3 Performance Support

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by nwyllie, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

The biggest thing I have noticed when examining Performance Support candidates is the marks for the way the design skill enhances the performance tend to let students down. Try
    to ensure the costume is worn throughout the performance and that

2. This is a worrying statement from an examiner as it is not accurate.
    The spec. states that costume candidates must include in their portfolio:
    the final design of at least two constructed and/or found costumes (my bold).

3. And to further clarify - it's costume DESIGN they are being examined on, not costume making. Someone else can make it from the candidate's design, just as someone else can operate the lighting from a lighting candidate's design and cue sheet.

4. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Not a worrying statement as at the time it was made (2 years ago), it was fact. This was further clarified by my Team Leader during my accompanied visit at the time. Edexcel have since re-evaluated this aspect as it was obviously problematic.

5. I examined this unit from 2009 - 2014; the spec has not changed.

My quote above, about being able to submit found costumes is from the spec published in 2008, page 32.

6. maspinall

maspinall New commenter

Hello!
    I am in the same position as Nicky, I have 2 performance support students this year for the Edexcel GCSE drama (old course, the last cohort) One wants to do costume and one wants to do sound. I have looked at all the information on the specification but does any one have a step by step guide on what they need to include. I think my students would really benefit from this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. my email address is m.white@hhhs.net. If i can help anyone else in any way please ask.

7. MaxHoy

MaxHoy New commenter

Hi Maspinall...
    Did you get any feedback from this at all as I am in the same situation as you and do not know where to start with this?? my email is k.fisher@sewellpark.org if you do have anything that can be shared???

8. frangowar22

frangowar22 New commenter

Hi,
    I am an NQT with two performance support students in my group. Having never done this before and being on my own in the department I feel like I have just ruined their chances of a good mark by being compleltey clueless on what they had to do. The exam is 2 weeks away and they don't have anything documented. I knew they had to do a presentation but didn't realise they had to produce a portfolio. I feel like I've let them down. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance, anything would be appreciated.