1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Drama Unit 3 Performance Support

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by nwyllie, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    I've been teaching this course for a number of years and in all my time doing so I've never had a performance support candidate until now.
    One of my current Y10s (first year GCSE) has expressed an interest in doing costume design for Unit 3 as opposed to performing and I wondered if anyone had specific advice about portfolios and such like. If someone has examples of what is needed in the portfolio and what specifically could be done; that would be brilliant.
    Thank you ever so much
    Nicky

2. Hi Nicky, I had my first ever tech support this year- will email the kind of things we did/put in documentation
    However, no idea how they did yet so you may not want my advice! X

3. Yes please!
    It'll just give me some sort of idea where to start and how much is expected from the student.
    Email: nwyllie@hotmial.co.uk
    Thanks x

4. Hi
    I recently found a guy who will come in and do a three hour workshop about lighting etc. There is also a guide in the student book about what should be included in the presentation and research.

I also have a booklet for student support if you want it, if you attach your e-mail, I am happy to send it to you. (along with his stuff)

[​IMG]

5. Hi
    My student would like to do costume design.
    ANY information would be useful. I've noticed I've made a typo on my email address in my previous post:
    It's nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk if you've tried sending me stuff; please use this "new" email address.
    thanks
    Nicky

6. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hi, I'm an Examiner for Edexcel Drama.

Your candidate must actually DESIGN and MAKE a costume for one character in the play, not just buy appropriate stuff - this is the biggest thing that affects marks.
    They must justify why they have done it the way they have, how it fits the character, what certain colours symbolise etc.

They should provide a portfolio with research, design documentation and photos that show the process, final designs, evaluation of product.

The design will then also be marked in the context of the performance.
    Hope that helps!

7. Thank you Figmo

Would I also be right in saying that the student has to do it all themselves and not get any help from family? Would it be ok if I got a textiles teacher in to guide her as I know very little about this sort of thing?
    Sorry for all the questions; as I've said, I've not had someone do this before and I've been teaching 10 years!!!!

8. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

I'm sure appropriate guidance from your textiles teacher is absolutely fine as long as she comes up with all the ideas and research etc herself.
    I wouldn't have a clue how to do it either!! [​IMG]

9. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

The biggest thing I have noticed when examining Performance Support candidates is the marks for the way the design skill enhances the performance tend to let students down. Try

10. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

The biggest thing I have noticed when examining Performance Support candidates is the marks for the way the design skill enhances the performance tend to let students down. Try
    to

11. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure

12. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume

13. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is

14. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the

15. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is worn

16. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is worn throughout the

17. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is worn throughout the performance

18. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is worn throughout the performance and

19. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

to ensure the costume is worn throughout

20. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

The biggest thing I have noticed when examining Performance Support candidates is the marks for the way the design skill enhances the performance tend to let students down. Try to ensure the costume is worn throughout the performance and that it reflects the character in some way rather than just looking nice. Think about colours which represent personality traits, emotions etc. You should also ensure the design is realised with a good level of skill so the textiles teacher may come in handy in terms of advice.

Hope that helps