1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Business Studies

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by gabs1973, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hi - Can anyone help. We currently offer BTEC Business Studies and are having to change to GCSE due to the recent changes. I will be offering GCSE Business Studies - Edexcel. I am also considering offering BTEC Business Studies for the lower level students although this will be a huge amount of work starting 2 new courses at the same time. BTEC syllabus is changing considerably. My question is does anyone currently do Edexcel GCSE Business Studies and how do yoiur lower level students get on with it? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

2. cb700

cb700 New commenter

I think it is quite a tough gcse too. My d and e students find the y11 exam with longer ended questions a challenge.

3. I agree with the above. Last year's unit 3 was a nightmare just in terms of terminology. When I went to the introductory training we were led to believe that they were reinvigorating the course by relying less heavily on dry subjects and terminology and much more on understanding concepts. I have found the reverse to be true, particularly in terminology, where in unit 1 for example there is always a 5 mark question based purely on definitions.

In unit 3 they talke about "favourable credit terms" for example - surely not high in the readability stakes.

The controlled assessment is very very difficult to score highly on if you're not a higher order thinker - students who would in the past have scraped a C in coursework only achieved Es and Fs in controlled assessment.

4. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

thanks - I would prefer to stick with BTEC but need to stay aware of what is going on with the GCSE incase SLT decide that is what I have got to offer!

5. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Hmm... Edexcel CA is 6 hours research & 3 hours write-up. Homework research from end Sept to Dec...surely this is a lot more that the prescribed 6 hours?

6. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Out of curiosity...has anyone been "checked up on" when doing the CA? In terms of sticking to th time etc ?

7. Interestingly, the only things that we do differently are to do the CA in the second half of the summer term of year 10 (I don't see how you manage to get through the whole of the unit 3 spec between January and May - how many hours a week do you teach them?) and we take the specified amount of time over it, ie roughly half a term, not a whole term.
    I fully concur with you about giving students the choice so they have ownership, but this is not a guarantee of good results!
    Our weaker students were just unable to get their heads around the level of analysis and evaluation needed.
    Please share what your scheme of work looks like for unit 3 - I'm really struggling to get through it all between September and May, especially with students being taken out left right and centre over the past few weeks for exams in other subjects - and being told not to set them any homework as they're all revising for the above!