1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Business Studies - is the exam paper too complex in language

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by pest1, Jun 27, 2011.

1. The specification looks really interesting and dare I say it fun? But does the English terminology used in the exam papers exclude lower ability students from achieving? I've looked at recent exam papers and they appear to be incredibly complex questions for D/E pupils to understand.
    Any thoughts? Or is it just me.

2. It's not just you. I commented on another thread that I thought the language level was ridiculous on some questions, eg the one about "more favourable credit terms".

I used to be an examiner (for another board, and another syllabus) and I remember having to fight tooth and nail to include the word "ergonomic" because people thought it was too difficult for students to understand. I don't understand how the Edexcel examiners get away with some of the questions they ask.

3. I have been thinking about changing from AQA to Edexcel. The specification looks so much more interesting and engaging than the AQA. There are lots of resources freely available for Edexcel.
    However, I do teach a lot of C-E pupils. I also think with the new baccalaureate, the amount of pupils in this category will increase. If they are to stand a chance of gaining a C or higher, I should just stick with the less imaginative specification.