1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EDEXCEL GCSE Business Studies controlled Assessment

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Anghared, Jun 21, 2012.

1. I am just delivering the EDEXCEL CA for the first time, has anyone used the same business and task for all their students?

2. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

As a moderator for edexcel I would strongly advise against that.
    <ol>[*]the spec says you should use different businesses[*]students answers may be too similar, the very able will carve their own path and be distinctive but the less able will cling to your every suggestion and use it in their arugment.[*]Students get marks for resaerch will you let all 20ish of your students complete individual research, wont that annoy the business person or will you do all their research for them (either way seems like madness)[*]The idea is that pupils act independantly find a business and come up with appropriate research questions and make suggestion to improve/ judge impact. Plenty of centres achieve this although it seems daunting.</ol>Hope I have helped.

3. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

I used the same business but different tasks the 1st time I did this and was marked down for analysis and evaluation. I also felt that the pupils did not enjoy the choice of business.
    This year it has been much better, pupils have enjoyed speaking to a local business, many using their own place of work or a relative.
    Take off the leash and let pupils find their own business is what I say!

4. No - I read the very clear and strong guidance from the exam board which says you shouldn't, and decided I would follow it.

5. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

pm'ed you if you want any more info send me your email address.