1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCSE Business Studies: 2014 - 2015 CA - Task 1 Rival Businesses

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by nathan_rees, Aug 17, 2014.

1. nathan_rees

nathan_rees New commenter

This is my first year teaching Business Studies and I will be taking through a year 11 class, which involves the CA. My HOD have told me to go for task 1 - which looks at rival businesses. Is any body able to clarify what information and topics students would need to focus on to carry out this CA. Any help or tips with this task would be hugely appreciated. See email below:

email address - nree1503@didcotgirls.oxon.sch.uk

2. jmacjm

jmacjm New commenter

Everything you need is on the edexcel web site take your time to absorb it all carefully before you start. Try to hook up with a neighbour and discussi. Remember it only relates to chapter one in the intro to small business book.

3. nathan_rees

Could students discuss different pricing strategies - such as price skimming,, penetration pricing, etc. Even though it is not on the spec?

4. jmacjm

jmacjm New commenter

It's there alright but in Unit 3. Unit 2 is an application of the theory in Unit1. Careful how you go my friend.

5. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

be very careful of you telling the students which task to undertake; especially if they all use the same business! The moderator will want 10 CAs plus highest and lowest (if they aren't in the requested sample). Students are supposed to chose themselves which task to undertake

6. nathan_rees

Could students be penalised? As it doesn't say students must choose by themselves.

7. nathan_rees

And is chapter 1 only relevant then?

8. going grey quickly

taken from the CA

"Students must choose one task from the list on pages 3 and 4. It is appropriate for

students from a centre to submit work from across the list of tasks."

Not sure about students being penalised; but I would have thought that questions will be asked by the moderator if all 12 pieces of work are the same task, based on the same business.

I'm sure Colin will be along soon to better explain!

9. going grey quickly

10. michael102

michael102 New commenter

After several extremely successful years with Edexcel CA I would advise:

- It is best for students not to all do the same task, if they do (which happened one year

even though I let them choose independently) I ensured no more than 2 people did the

same business as the moderator, as going grey quickly said will take a very dim view of

this and could bring your level of involvement into question

- Concentrate most of the research and theory to be across the whole of unit 1 where

applicable, any other theory that it not on the spec but relevant such as pricing strategies is

fine and will get credit BUT they must get this info individually, if all were to do it I would as

a moderator wonder if you had fed this to them which again brings your level of involvement

into question. I personally would maybe have the discussion of levels of pricing but leave it

up to your bright ones to link the theory in.

Message me if you want anymore help including exemplars so you have an idea of what an A, C and E grade coursework looks like.

11. going grey quickly

I agree with michael in terms of business choice - my applied business group are told that whilst two can have the same business for one, the other business HAS to be a different one so no two students are basing their work on the same two businesses.

I have always told my GCSE group that no one can use the same business even if they are answering different tasks to ensure that the research is their own.

12. I am also taking a year 11 Business group through 2014-15 but they have had very little input during yr 10 into Unit 1 due to issues before I arrived. My concern with the CA is the lack of contacts this group have with people who own a small business and the difficulties business depts are faced with when trying to link with small businesses. I was thinking of moving over to the OCR GCSE. Any thoughts, experiences relating to my query?