1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EDEXCEL GCSE BUS CA scores - any issues?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by glynmanton, Aug 28, 2011.

1. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

Just done some gcse analysis of my schools gcse. Unit 1 and 3 good. Unit 2's have been downgraded (included those not submitted) by up to 33%.

No issues in yr1 - we acted on recommendations on reports!

2nd year - followed guidelines and exemplars and moderated - Means students who got A* in 1 and 3 did not get more than a D in the CA.

Anyone else had problems?

2. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

Ditto and I am really annoyed. Never in 18 years have I been downgraded marking coursework and have also been downgraded. I worked it out that up to 7 marks were taken off. What has annoyed me is that this is the first attempt for me and some 9 pupils have gone down a grade, 3 are 1 mark off the 120 C boundary. All of the cohort were treated the same way. Can I appeal? Yes for £600 for all 34 to be remarked. That is practically my budget. The moderator's report says I was generous with evaluation and analysis, they say:
    "When moving on to evaluation, encourage students to rank the factors from most to least important and justify this based on the analysis provided."
    I distinctly remember some students doing this and giving reasons. All gave a judgement.
    "You might also want to think about how else students could evidence their points by using more creative evidence such as photo’s of the range of stock out on display to evidence product range or, an ‘extended opening hours’ sign to signify how the business is more convenient."
    How can you be creative with the question on reasons why people went into business? Most did this question.
    I was really worried about CA after EdExcel posted exemplar material on the website in May - after the submission date.
    I plan to ring tomorrow. Have you complained?

3. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

Can I also ask, in the first year of submission, were you warned or advised about being lenient? What were these recommendations?
    Cheers

4. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

Some of mine went down 15 marks- I marked using last years (no issues) and the samples.

My feedback was the same - without paying money(!) they will not highlight on each student where they saw the differences. I was warned about being prescriptive on the research and title (we got all students to do the same company in year 1) This year they did their own - but mainly picked adding value. I thought some of the investigations were excellent certainly not d grade material!

I accept a few marks but 15?? I am happy to send you my reports

I am worried as I have now 28 to do again (my budget!)

and want to put through my y10's so If I stuff it up this time I will mess up the kids GCSE.

glynmanton@ntlworld.com

5. hensonlee

hensonlee New commenter

This is the first year I have completed the controlled assessment and have noticed that some grades have been marked up, I have looked at the moderators report online but it is very short (one sentence - harsh marking with regard to research) do I get a detailed report at some point.

6. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

checked web site (have been in contact with Colin Leith) fees are Service 3 ? review of
    moderation of internally assessed coursework fee per paper/ unit£257.50 minimum (up to
    15 candidates) and £309 if 16 candidates or more in the original sample

If your scores were reversed - no charge...

7. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

That is your report - it is very generic!

8. We have also had problems here - I have a good department with extensive experience of assessing coursework at both GCSE and Applied A Level and while I accept that the CA is different, we worked extremely hard to ensure that we were doing things properly and did extensive internal standardisation. We entered approximately 75 students and all of our CAs were downgraded by either 1 or 2 grades. The explanation in the moderators report is very brief but the general gist of things is that we have been too generous on analysis marks. I have a huge problem with this particularly when a B grade piece of work is downgraded to a D - I'm sure you will agree that there is a huge difference between a B and a D and after 15 years of teaching I think I have a pretty good grasp of this!. I attended Edexcel's training and we used the exemplar material that was available. We were also criticised for lack of internal moderation although we actually did way more than we needed to but there is no formal paperwork requested for this. On top of all of this, there is a glaring contradiction in the report which makes me wonder what exactly the external moderator was thinking. The top of the report clearly states "the sample coursework was not adequately annotated" and then later says "the annotation was clear throughout the students work and summative comments were provided which explained why students had achieved a particular mark range" - the 2nd point is in fact accurate but how can this be right in what is in fact a pretty important document?? I have students who achieved 100% in both Unit 1 and Unit 3 exams and yet their CA has been downgraded from A* to A - I now have no idea what is expected from students in order to achieve an A* and out of the 75 students we entered, only 2 achieved an A* overall when the number should have been closer to 7 or 8. I will be requesting a re-moderation as soon as we are back in school on Monday.

9. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

I feel and share you annoyance. I too have contradictions. Good luck in trying to get anywhere with your query. I am waiting over a week to get a reply from EdExcel. I cannot afford to get work re-moderated as for 34 it will cost £600+. You can bet I will be invited to a coursework moderation meeting as this will bring more money into EdExcel's bank account. EdExcel is the most expensive board I think you will find.
    In previous posts I have sung the praises of this course and EdExcel but am miffed at the moment. I too have marked for 18 years and never been downgraded.

10. It is disappointing to say the least - is 34 the size of your sample??

11. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

No ten but I have been told that you need to send in all of your cohort. This year I also ran an Applied GCSE in Business and that is all fine, no problems. I really believe that the moderator is wrong but cannot prove it. :(

12. Hi - ours were downgraded - all our students got one grade less than expected due to poor performance in controlled assessment. We went on the training and moderated the work closely. Very disappointed and not sure where to turn now as we have been on the training and thought we were doing everything correct. On the plus side they thanked us for treasury tagging the work.

13. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

I left OCR GCSE - Their A* was nearly 7.5%

EDEXCEL - is 1.5%

14. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

This is all very interesting. I was really worried about the CA but none of our marks were adjusted but the moderators report did say we were a little generous with our marks on analysis and evaluation. Unit 3 exam...that is a different story!

15. Hi simon1971 - we also had no problems with Applied GCSE but I'm not sure the information you have been given about re-moderation is correct. I have just checked the Edexcel post-results service information and it says the following:
    "<font size="2" face="TrebuchetMS">The review of moderation will:</font>

It says fees will not be incurred where the review leads to a change in the overall subject grade or where the centre marks are reinstated.
    I know this is still an expensive process but it may be worth it!
    Good luck!

<font size="2" face="TrebuchetMS"></font>

16. my departments controlled assessments were also down graded. we folllowed all advice very carefully. apparently we were over generous with the evaluation marks. confusingly, raw marks were downgraded from anywhere between 1 and 4 marks? i dont understand this.
    we were also criticised for our internal moderation but we did this thorougly. they should make it clear what evidence they want of internal modertion.
    I am very annoyed at edexcel.

17. I had the comment about internal moderation on Edexcel ICT - where only one teacher had marked all the work.

18. MrDarcyswife

MrDarcyswife New commenter

I was downgraded also and was fuming. I have had a meeting with my department and we literally do not know what is required to get full marks on the controlled assessment. I thought that maybe, I was loosing my touch when it came to exam marking as I have been told in the past that my marking has been too harsh and now....too leniant. I am too, an experienced teacher with many years of marking GCSE and A Level coursework