1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel GCE grade boundaries January 2012

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stueytunes, Mar 7, 2012.

1. These (published today) confirmed my fears about the stupidly easy FP1 paper from January. Students had to score 92% raw (69/75) in order to get 80% UMS. So, the last six marks of avoiding tiny errors covers twenty points, which is of course a third of a grade. Why can Edexcel not set more challenging papers (this has happened a few times in the last couple of years or so)?
    I notice also there are no "hard" papers in this session ie all are 60+ for an A (M3 C3 C4 boundaries also high at 65/75).

2. and on D1 you needed over 60% to get an E! (46/75) which seems very high or indication of a very easy paper.

3. FP1's always been funny like that though, hasn't it? It's an AS standard paper taken generally by bright motivated students, so you get a very skewed distribution. But it certainly seems dodgy that the last 6 marks are worth triple what the first 69 marks are worth. Wouldn't be a problem if it was linear, mind, but I don't think Govey's going there just yet!!

4. It really ought to be possible to set papers which are a little more taxing. I suppose that, since the published figures state that 58% of candidates scored 80+ UMS, raw marks differentiation has presumably to be as crude as this. Of course, what it boils down to is that an untesting paper splits what is the majority of the entry by whether they made a few tiny slips or not.

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Exactly and this is increasingly beboming a problem at all levels especially higher GCSE. Of course we have A* here (and at A Level) so sonn A* at further maths too?

6. What do we pay Senior Examiners for, if it is not to produce papers of the right standard or in other words with grade boundaries where they ought to be.
    The way these boundaries are changed because papers are considered too easy or difficult (after they have been sat) is also an indication of the grade inflation that has taken place over the last 25 years. Who decides that the mark for an A should be 65 , which means an increase in the number of A grade papers rather than 66, which means there is less or no grade inflation?