1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel FM1

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briceanus, Oct 6, 2018.

1. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Anyone out there teaching the Further Mechanics (edexcel) modules, specifically FM1 ?
    We accelerate in year 12, so our FM students have done A-level, but now, based on their needs, our 2 options for yr 13 are FM1 and FM2.
    FM2 already looks huge, but the FM1 is highlighting some areas of discontinuity.
    A lot of the sample papers, tests, need students to be able to 'drop' one vector onto another. Obviously this is a good thing to be able to do, but the endorsed textbook makes no mention of it whatsoever.
    Similar goes for the p-value calculations in normal stats.
    I know that AC is creating a list of book errors, but what about major omissions ?
    Does anyone have any extra examples of dropping vectors so solve impulse questions, or shall I make some up?
    Bric

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

This is very interesting to read, thanks Bric. My colleague is doing FM1 while I am teaching FP1, so I will have to liaise with him. We have done the AS part of the book, so he may have already come across this.

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I will watch this thread with interest.
    We have just begun a conversation about possibly switching boards but haven't been able to see the Edexcel specimen papers as they're only available with login - we have contacted Edexcel for help and are waiting for a response. If there are uncertainties regarding the spec and what is actually required it would be useful to know.

4. adamcreen

That's definitely not the case, Blue. The spec papers are all here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/...Category/Specification-and-sample-assessments
    And if you want a response the best person to contact is Graham Cumming at Maths Emporium <mathsemporium@pearson.com> and though he is a bit swamped at the mo, feel free to ask questions or for resources here.
    I'm @adamcreen on Twitter and if you message me your email there or here I can send you any files you need.

5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Many thanks - I found a page that looked just like that and when I tried to download it asked me to log-in.
    I'll have a good look over the next week or so - we are currently with CIE but for various reasons are looking to change.

6. mikeedanz

mikeedanz New commenter

If I were you I'd stick with CIE. The new Edexcel A level is dreadful (the Further is better though) The only reason we haven't switched to CIE is the early exam dates.

blue451 likes this.
  7. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Thanks for replies. I've taught a fair bit of mech before, so can fill the gaps that the book blatantly misses, but it needs experience and any newish teacher to this will really struggle if following just the book. I'm now on to FM2 and will feedback to AC with book errors.
    As an aside, next year I have to teach FM in parallel with normal maths (something I don't condone). What is a good combo in year 12 (edexcel), any suggestions ?
    FC1, FM1A,D1 ? with FC2, FM1B, FP1 in year 13 ?

8. adamcreen

We are doing parallel
    I've been OK with FP1a in Year 1 alongside FM1a, though again it's needed a little bit of extra calculus ahead of Pure Year 2
    Are you doing FP1, FM1 and D1? You don't need to do 3, but there is time to teach them all.

9. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Adam, we're still undecided about Further modules for year 12 next year; we've also had our contact time reduced; we're struggling as it is this year to fit it all in.
    A further query, I'm now well in to FMech2 and into the slog of some straightforward but very laborious polynomial integration. Seeing as Classwiz can just calculate the numerical answers, will this suffice, or do Edexcel want to see all workings, integration, subbing in limits etc. There are some that require integration by substitution, but is this necessary?
    A couple of examples on mock papers use variables instead of numbers to ensure full working, but the textbook is nearly all numbers.
    Not sure how to advise students, as the full working method can take up to 20 mins for a 10 mark question.
    Bric

10. adamcreen

We have 10 hours a fortnight for Further (and the same for single) - we completed CP1 by Xmas and are most of the way through FM1 (Year 1) and FP1 (Year 1). Starting CP2 in summer term, then onto the Year 2 option content. We haven't done FM2 so can't really comment on the topics in there.
    You can't use numerical integration on calculator unless the question suggests it, at least it's never been allowed in the past and the FX115 used to do numerical integration as well. Integration by substitution is part of Pure 2 that they would need to be able to do, but unless the question gives the substitution, is there not a formula in the formula booklet that they can just look up eg for inverse trig functions?

11. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

An example in the book is to find the COM of a semi-circle. This involves 2 integrals, one in the numerator and the other in the denom. The second requires a (not given) trig substitution (not a formula book one), which then requires a double angle identity, changing limits and being very accurate. The other is a reverse chain rule / inspection type. I know this is all part of A2 maths but the time taken to do it outweighs the further maths elements. If they could just plug the 2 integrals into the calc to get the necessary results, it would seem a lot more fair in terms of mark allocation. As there aren't any 'real' FM2 papers out there, its difficult to judge / advise etc. Maybe tell them to get the answer and come back for full working if they have time.
    Bric

12. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

I don't see why you cant do a numerical integration on a calculator in a mechanics question.

We do AQA but the Futher maths in particular seems ridiculous. For example matrices used to be a whole module -FP4. Now it seems to have been split into 2 chapters. All the hard stuff is in FM chapter 6.

I just spent the best part of two days working through this one chapter and to be honest I still had to google and research some of the questions which require an understand of compound transformations using eigenvectors that goes well beyond anything mentioned in the book.

I cant believe anything like this is going to be examined.

It really is obvious they rushed it out at the last minute.

13. maths_mikey

maths_mikey New commenter

PS I haven't posted for a while - I used to be a regular contributer but they have destroyed the forum by making all post having to wait moderation. You can no longer chat or debate in real time which is a real flaw.

Interested to read comments on new A Level though I really think the exams could be either disastrously difficult or so easy that it will make a mockery of the examples and methods in the text books.