1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Exam Timings

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I have just been looking at the Edexcel schedule for the summer and it seems that C1 and M1 are on the same day at the same time this year.
    I appreciate many sit C1 in January but what about those doing both this summer?
    One at 9am and then held in 'quarantine' and sit the other immediately after?
    Do the school have the right to pick which they do first?
    3 hours straight of exams?

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I have no problem with 3 hour A Level exams. Are kids so much different to what we used to be?

3. You can pick

Ours are doing the applied first, then the Pure

4. You did used to be able to choose which exam was done first, certainly when it was different subjects that were clashing, but I know there seemed to be a bit of a re-write of some of the rules and regulations recently so it may have changed or there may be different rules in the same subject block. I know it probably doesn't help now if you're on school hols at the moment (unless like some of them they happen to be working through this holiday), but your exams officer should be able to tell you...
    One thing you might need to think about is your extra time candidates (if you have any) as they will get 23 mins ET per exam (if they get 25% ET) so a) will end up off-set from the rest of the candidates in terms of starting the second exam and b) by the time the first lot of papers have been collected in and the second one handed out and all the information and rubrics given will be in the exam hall for nearly 4 hours

5. Sorry - crossed posts with RF

6. We have the luxury of having a new Exams Officer ... new to the job completely ... the advantage of her actually finding out answers rather than second guessing or assuming it is the same as before has FAR outweighed her need to upskill quickly [​IMG]

7. Thanks for all the responses
    RE the 3 hours...I would enjoy it but some of these folk have had the diet of modular papers and took everything but the torch, blanket and SOS flare for the final 1 hr 30 minute one.
    Agree on the exam officers thing. The amount of "Im sure we could do that you know" type of emails I have sent!
    Im not sure on the extra timers but certainly a consideration.
    It seemed strange that they would have it at the same time with the tight regulations especially as its quite a common combo for AS students.

8. A-level Maths have 9 exam slots for 18 modules, so there are always 2 modules per session. There are 3 slots in the first 2 weeks to cover the 5 main L6 modules, so some students will finish up with 2 exams in one session.
    The alternative would be to stretch out the AS exams over a longer period and have less teaching time left to start the U6 modules in the summer.

9. Altenartively you can look at and realise there are at least 5 full weeks in the Edexcel exam period this summer and a 6th listed.
    This is 30 school days as a minimum with an AM and PM sitting. So now we are splitting 18 units (most of which very few will sit) could be every third or 4th sitting.
    Look at the combinations of clashing modules.
    FP1 and M4...how many kids would do that as a % of A level students?
    FP2 and S4...again...
    C4 and S3...
    Kids doing these double sittings are likely to be the very able and potentially far more able to handle such exam after exam.
    My concern is that M1/C1 is one of the, if not the, most popular combination and with such a POTENTIALLY huge window it seems like a strange choice.
    No requirement to stop teaching early, just a requirement for the people at Edexcel to think "Perhaps we could make that one an AM and the other a PM sitting"....same day, time in between.

10. All the exam boards are given the same 9 slots to fit in all their Maths exams. Edexcel can only choose which pairs go in the given slots. They cant start putting exams in any other slots as it would clash with other subjects.

11. Who governs this Colin?
    Regardless I still think the extremes should be put together if there is 'no way' to get round it for exam boards, ie C1 with M4 or S4, C2 with FP3, M1 with D2 for example as they generally cater for different kids

12. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

This document might be helpful (page 3).
    They want largely to have AS units before A2 (except, they say, for maths), and large entry papers before small entry ones, which is presumably why C1 and M1 happen first.
    I suppose it might also be weird for some students to sit M4 before they do M1.
    Anyway - FWIW, I agree with Betamale that avoiding clashes where possible is good and the method suggested here is a good way to do it.

13. Thanks Nazard
    I had a good read. Page 3 suggests there is scope for the awarding body to change it. I know C1 and C2 are in different ways for different boards.
    I think if a kid is doing M1 and M4 in the same exam period they may be ok [​IMG]
    The funniest thing in the whole documents was
    "The Friday afternoon session before half-term will be reserved for smaller entry subjects. This is to ensure that as many scripts as possible are despatched prior to the break."
    Garbage!!! its because none of the kids or staff give a monkeys by then

Here is the OCR lay out
    <font size="2">4751 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Introduction to Advanced Mathematics (C1) 1 h 30 min Wed 18 May am</font>
    4752 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Concepts for Advanced Mathematics (C2) 1 h 30 min Fri 20 May pm</font>
    4753 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Methods for Advanced Mathematics (C3) 1 h 30 min Mon 20 June am</font>
    4754 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Applications of Advanced Mathematics (C4) 1 h 30 min Mon 13 June am + up to 1 h</font>
    4755 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Further Concepts for Advanced Mathematics (FP1) 1 h 30 min Fri 20 May pm</font>
    4756 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Further Methods for Advanced Mathematics (FP2) 1 h 30 min Mon 20 June am</font>
    4757 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Further Applications of Advanced Mathematics (FP3) 1 h 30 min Mon 13 June am</font>
    4758 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Differential Equations 1 h 30 min Wed 18 May am</font>
    4761 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Mechanics 1 1 h 30 min Thu 16 June pm</font>
    4762 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Mechanics 2 1 h 30 min Thu 16 June pm</font>
    4763 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Mechanics 3 1 h 30 min Wed 22 June am</font>
    4764 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Mechanics 4 1 h 30 min Thu 16 June pm</font>
    4766 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Statistics 1 1 h 30 min Thu 26 May am</font>
    4767 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Statistics 2 1 h 30 min Wed 22 June am</font>
    4768 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Statistics 3 1 h 30 min Thu 23 June am</font>
    4769 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Statistics 4 1 h 30 min Thu 26 May am</font>
    4771 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Decision Mathematics 1 1 h 30 min Wed 22 June am</font>
    4772 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Decision Mathematics 2 1 h 30 min Thu 23 June am</font>
    4773 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Decision Mathematics Computation 2 h 30 min Fri 24 June pm</font>
    4776 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Numerical Methods 1 h 30 min Wed 18 May am</font>
    4777 <font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">Numerical Computation 2 h 30 min Fri 24 June pm </font></font><font size="2" face="Myriad Pro Light,Myriad Pro Light">
    So FP1/C2 but the number of students doing this combo will be fewer.

More worryingly it seems AQA have C1/C2 at the same time????? 18th may
    </font>

14. When we (OCR) put our 21 MEI exams in the nine slots, we just put together a quick spreadsheet with the units along to top and down the side, and put the number of candidates taking both papers in the same series in the intersections. Then we played around with them to try to minimise the number of students with clashes. Also by giving AS and A2 units a dummy variable you can get the one <u>generally</u> scheduled before the other. Turns out (funnily enough) that the worst clashes are C1 with any of M1, S1 or C2...

15. Hi Kev
    Thanks for the insight. Its nice to find out how the boards work
    Are you saying the majority of pupils doing MEI are not doing a combo of C1/C2/M1/S1??
    Out of interest, do the January sittings fllow a similar pattern to the summer in terms of candidate choices and % splits or do you have more C1/C3 and AS applied in the January sessions?

16. The most common applied units taken are M1 and S1, so we try to avoid putting C1/C2/M1/S1 in the same slot as any other 'big' unit. Having checked again at work today, the worst clash would actually be C2 and S1 (C2 being taken by more students than C1 in June, generally).
    The biggest clash we have in practice I think is C2 with FP1 (for some of those doing both ASs in Y12), followed by M1 with M2.
    In terms of splits, there's certainly more C1 and C3 in Jan than June (but C3 not by much). Both June entries are I think increasing though. Whether this is delayed entry (teaching all the Y12 or Y13 Core together) or increased re-sits I'm not sure. A* may be having an impact on C3 for example. But, unsurprisingly C2 and C4 are much bigger in June than Jan.
    M1, S1, D1, M2 and S2 are all bigger in June than Jan, and D2 as well since it's not available in Jan on the MEI spec. So in terms of percentage splits, I think that C1 and C3 are more significant in Jan than June given the smaller entries on applied and C2/C4 - if that makes sense - but they're still amongst the biggest June units.
    Kevin

17. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Nothing has changed. According to Mrs Piranha, Exams Officer to the Gentry, the school decides. If the order matters to you, I suggest you tell your Exams Officer quickly.
    I agree with Mike - 3 hours of exams is nothing to complain about. I remember sitting two 3 hour papers in a day, with supervision over lunch. If, as seems lkely, the Government abolishes modular exams, we may even see 3 hour papers as being the norm, and without a break in the middle.