1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel exam question - exponential functions

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by siddons_sara, Mar 17, 2011.

1. I think the topic mentioned is peculiar to Edexcel, I've never seen anything like it on the AQA papers. To an extent, there are often twists in the way questions are asked on exam papers in order to test the application of understanding that Piranha mentions. I would have thought though that not to mention the extent of a topic in a syllabus is a bit underhand.

2. The question wa the last one on a paper a few years back and the numbers given were so obvious that the students should have spotted the pattern.
    I liked it
    A recent Edexcel paper has had a similar one with a cars value.

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Betamale ......I liked it too.
    I came across the question last week when doing a past paper with my Y11. I was feeling guilty about the fact I haven't yet covered everything. Then I reflected that if I quicly run through this question there is no reason why able pupils coudn't do it, afterall we've done simultaneous equations and proportion questions when we substitute to find a constant then use the constant.
    I still have some content I haven't covered though! Do you find it difficult to get through everthing? My class aren;t the top set but should be A/B grade. We are doing Edexcel modular. The annoying thing is a lot of A* content won't be examined but Sod's law a topic I don't have time to cover properly will come up.
    We have 3 hours a week.

4. DM

DM New commenter

There is a whole chapter on this topic in the Edexcel Linked Pair Textbook.