1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel 'Divided Union' exam

Discussion in 'History' started by ThomasJefferson, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi there - just wondered if anyone else taught Edexcel Unit 3C 'Divided Union?' - the source-based paper.

I'd be interested to know what you thought of the exam today - interestingly the content tested was not on the syllabus or in the textbook, and wondered if anyone else had noticed this - and if so, what they thought??

All very well being a skills-based paper but there are also marks for content knowledge, so it should probably have been on something in the Edexcel syllabus!

2. Hi there - just wondered if anyone else taught Edexcel Unit 3C 'Divided Union?' - the source-based paper.

I'd be interested to know what you thought of the exam today - interestingly the content tested was not on the syllabus or in the textbook, and wondered if anyone else had noticed this - and if so, what they thought??

All very well being a skills-based paper but there are also marks for content knowledge, so it should probably have been on something in the Edexcel syllabus!

3. It's more than a little annoying that over 50% of the course is on civil rights, and not a mention of this was needed in the exam. Are there any other exams where over 80% of the specified content does not appear on a paper? My students, particularly the less able, felt cheated. Or is this a way of rewarding the most able, and ensuring that the examiners can continue to play exam lottery?
    Remember, though, last year the Treaty of Sevres and the Tehran conference were considerd more important and worthy of mention than Versailles or Yalta. But the examiners can feel oh so superior to teachers and students, cos they know all about it. Ha ha!

4. Hi, I agree! When I read the paper I actually worried that I had stuck two pages of the textbook together and completely missed out the event mentioned. It doesn't surprise me tho, the cold war exam last year had a question about something that consisted of one sentence in the book. I agree that there should be a civil rights section every time. No wonder A* are relatively rare!