1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel D1 marking criteria questions

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lynneinjapan, Feb 4, 2016.

1. lynneinjapan

lynneinjapan New commenter

I've just started teaching the Edexcel spec at a new school (having previously taught AQA) and have a few questions about how answers need to be presented to get full marks.

1. On Quicksort questions, do candidates have to explicitly LIST the pivots, as on the mark schemes, or is just circling them sufficient?

2. Matchings: the mark scheme shows final matchings as A=2, B=4, C=1, etc. Would candidates be penalised for writing the pairs without the =, i.e. A2, B4, C1?

3. Minimum spanning trees: are they ever penalised for just listing edges without their weights? (Obviously they still have to give the correct total weight.)

4. Chinese postman: am I correct in thinking that they have to list the lengths of the shortest possible routes AND the TOTAL for each pair of links in order to get the marks?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

When you have specifics like this, go to the horse's mouth.

Phone Edexcel.

They're surprisingly helpful. So are the other 'Awarding Bodies' IME.

3. lynneinjapan

lynneinjapan New commenter

OK, I'll try that. Will feed back with answers in case any one else has the same questions!

Another Q to add to my list: When tracing algorithms, how fussy are they about moving down to a new line every time something changes?