1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Edexcel Core 2 Exam 27th May

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by coyote, May 27, 2011.

1. coyote

coyote New commenter

I thought 5b was a little tricky, but fair on its own. Trouble was, you needed it to do part c, and that would throw a lot of the less confident students. A colleague suggested it should have been "Show that r=...", and I agree. Technically more difficult - we had some students producing the right answer without being sure why - but now a lot easier to do part c
    Confession time: I was struggling to see a simple solution for quite a while...

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I also thing 5B should be a
    My logic is this - If you can do 5b then you can (almost certainly) do 5c - this makes 5b effectively worth 5 marks and 5c is irrelevant.
    EXCEPT if you know a bit of exam trickery - make up the answer to 5b and pick up the easy 2 marks for 5c. (or even for 5c - do the bit you can do i.e. at least work out the total area of the sector - but many students having failed at 5b wouldnt even bother with 5c)
    I dont think students should benefit or be penalised becuase they dont know the trick of making up an answer to allow you to do the next part.
    Why not just ask them one question - 5b Find the area of the shaded region and assign 5 marks?

3. I too looked at it for a long time.
    My pupils just went for the follow on marks using the incorrect value gained.
    Yes it would have been a great 'show that' qustion