1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

edexcel controlled assessmnet marking - GCSE Business Studies

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by hmaloney, Apr 14, 2011.

1. hi

i am just trying to get my year 11´s controlled assessment marked.

i have been looking at the example materials on the edexcel site and posted on the community site, and also the materials in the specification folder.

i have the controlled assessment mark record sheet, but i was wondering if there were any other sheets which help with assessing students work.

for example the total mark for research is 12, but how do i know if a student is a 6 or an 8 for example? what are the boundaries? are there guidelines which show the difference between a 5 for analysis or an 8?

i am finding it quite difficult without any clear structure or guidelines.

many thanks in advance for any help given

2. Hi
    I also had some issue at first with distinguishing exactly where a piece of work would sit within the level for each criteria. The banding for each criteria is clear (research, presentation, analysis, evaluation), but then choosing the mark per band isn't specified. (I'm assuming you're using the specification to get the mark bands for each criteria)
    Common sense seems to dictate that
    If they fully met the criteria for the band = max marks for that band
    If they've fully met criteria for band below and met some of criteria for the band = min marks for that band
    If they've mosly but not fully met criteria for band = middle mark
    We then did sampling for both the marks, but also to decide in our judgement what a A, C or E piece of work is, to use as benchmarks. Top, middle and bottom sample have been moderated for each of the teaching groups. Thankfully we found that the mark differences between us were slim.
    I'm not saying that this is the word of the board - but it's how we have worked with it. Not saying this is a perfect solution but hope it helps!