1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

edexcel chemistry a level marking - what is an item?

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencelady82, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I've just received my first contract for Edexcel and I've been asked to mark just short of 20,000 items. I'm assuming an item is a specific number of questions but do you know how many? 20,000 sounds like a huge amount of marking!

Many thanks

2. From my experience, an item would be sub-question. Perhaps a chunk of a question requiring a few marking decisions. Typically a calculation might have three marks: one for the "formula", one for inserting the values and one for coming up with the correct answer.
    If in doubt, phone the exam board ans ask them. It would be a mistake to commit yourself to something that was unreasonable just because you didn't understand what was meant. Having said that, exam boards usually ration the work in reasonable chunks, especially for newcomers.

Hope this helps.

3. As an Edexcel marker I should be able to explain!
    Item refers to the number of sub questions that you'll be expected to mark.
    It won't be the full question, so you may have to mark 800 question 1 part a(i) followed by 800 question a (ii) etc. Some items may consist of more than sun section though, so you may have 800 question 1 b(i), b(ii) and c to mark.
    If you're marking 20,000 AS or A2 items then that does sound alot - my allocation for A2 physics is usually around 7,000. This works out at about 600 papers or so.
    I also mark GCSE Physics 2 for WJEC, and 20,000 sounds something similar to the 600 or so GCSE papers (more questions = more items on a paper).

Hope this helps.

4. Thanks so much to both of you, that's really helpful